No Reverse Lights - Switch Replacement? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to resolve my reverse lights issue but I'm running into a roadblock. Already checked fuses/bulbs and all are good, which leads me to believe that it could be an issue with the switch. Anyone know where the reverse light switch is located on a 1994? We looked over the transmission (A442f) but couldn't figure it out. Any leads would be helpful - even better with pics - unless we're looking for the wrong thing entirely. Thanks!

Looking at the wiring diagram for my 1997 (yeah not the same year but may be close) there is a wire (red/blue) that runs from the ECM and then branches to the combination meter (read that as instrument panel), the Auto Trans indicator switch and the reverse lights. It appears the power routes from the battery, through the AT Indicator Switch and then to the ECM, instruments and lights.

It's hard to tell in the FSM but the position switch looks to be connected to the transmission and is attached to the gear selector in the cab by some linkage.

You checked fuses and bulbs but did you verify 12V at the light socket when in reverse? There are a couple connectors along the way that could have issue and there is also a white/blue wire that runs for ground. On mine it's connects in one of the rear quarter panels so verify that is in good shape too. If your grounds are good and there is no 12V at the socket I'd start at the indicator switch and trace the red/blue wire checking for power along the way.

Last edited:
How’s the R indicator light on the dash? Lit up when in reverse? Others normal? I have a 94 that the transmission started out in 2nd gear occasionally and the reverse lights were out. Can’t remember exactly but the indicator lights had some issues as well and the Neutral Safety Switch barrel plug was corroded.
The NSS determines what gear PRND2L you are in and a corroded plug will affect this operation. Common problem here due to its location. Might check there.

Trying to resolve my reverse lights issue but I'm running into a roadblock. Already checked fuses/bulbs and all are good, which leads me to believe that it could be an issue with the switch. Anyone know where the reverse light switch is located on a 1994? We looked over the transmission (A442f) but couldn't figure it out. Any leads would be helpful - even better with pics - unless we're looking for the wrong thing entirely. Thanks!
Did you ever figure this out? I'm currently dealing with the same issue. I was told it might be the neutral safety switch.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm currently dealing with the same issue. I was told it might be the neutral safety switch.
Yeah have same no back up lights issue on my 1997. I cannot find the location of the switch to test it. Any help would be appreciated

Yeah have same no back up lights issue on my 1997. I cannot find the location of the switch to test it. Any help would be appreciated
Reverse light switch is part of the neutral start switch. Pie shaped device on the right side of the transmission with a wire harness coming out of the top.
You should consider downloading the Toyota factory service manual (FSM) and the electronic wiring diagram (EWD) from the resources section. All your questions will be answered.

1703346610616.png

1703346712569.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom