No power to ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was jumping a very dead truck and now my 89 won’t start. I have power to hazards and horn and headlights but no radio or wipers or shifter red light or other engine dash lights

I tried jumping mine and nothing.

I’m stuck on the road and don’t have my manual or a lot of tools.

Not sure if it’s related or something. Maybe the neutral safety switch? Would it have these symptoms

Fusible link gone bad?

They look good but I’ll double check

How do they look when they go bad?
Look for obvious burns or melting. But generally they go bad and look just fine. You’ll need some electronic testing tools to be certain. It could be a short inside the plastic that you’ll never see.

I was jumping a very dead truck and now my 89 won’t start. I have power to hazards and horn and headlights but no radio or wipers or shifter red light or other engine dash lights

I tried jumping mine and nothing.

I’m stuck on the road and don’t have my manual or a lot of tools.

Not sure if it’s related or something. Maybe the neutral safety switch? Would it have these symptoms

if u jumped your 89 , now it has no power at ignition ?

99.9% chance you fried your fusible link or links !

that's what they are designed to do when u jump your FJ62 in a manner that shorts to ground or reverse polarity

Please watch the below T-TEN Technical Educational Channel Video i made , and then Report back after u digest all the content and such .........

thanks

matt

Thanks everybody

Yep the two ignition fusible links. They looked fine except for a a couple almost clear specs stuck to the outside of the link. I’ll cut them open when I get home.

I temporarily replaced them w 16 ga wire for the 150 mile trip home. Is that a good idea?

No more jumping

Thanks everybody

Yep the two ignition fusible links. They looked fine except for a a couple almost clear specs stuck to the outside of the link. I’ll cut them open when I get home.

I temporarily replaced them w 16 ga wire for the 150 mile trip home. Is that a good idea?

No more jumping
Well, you’ll probably make it home with that fix. I would consider it limping home to be honest. That’s not a reliable alternative. If there is an other problem that caused the fusible link to go out (as it’s designed to do) then you could have some catastrophic failure elsewhere in the electrical system. Fire hazards are high for you right now and it would be a good idea to carry an extinguisher for electronics devices. Get that fixed asap!

Thanks everybody

No more jumping

Not a good idea.

You can get cheap fusible link wire at any good auto parts store - It won't be correct, but it's better than risking a harness melt and/or fire.

FL wire has to be 4 sizes smaller than the wire its protecting, so at min an 18 ga FL

And order a new correct Fusible Link assembly from ToyotaMatt above so it's waiting for you when you get home. He is the only source now as it is NLA from Toyota or any aftermarket.

I had my fuel pump wire melt on the exhaust causing one of the fuseable links to keep tripping..
I replaced all the wire mess at the battery with a Bleu Sea fuse box however.

Thanks everybody

No more jumping

i am glad you pin pointed and diagnosed the LINKS as the issue

the 16 GA wire in place you did is extremely ILL ADVISED ?

i can and do on a regular BASES OVERNIGHT USPS EXPRESS Mail FLAT RATE bubble pouches all over the country for only $23

i can have a NEW fresh LINKS set up in your hands by Tuesday morning as i am here on the EAST coasat mail is Over for the weekend

this is the BEST FAST scenario i know on PLANET EARTH to help assist you here in a way i can and do now all the time regarding the 90982-08251 's i hand make 100% inhouse personally ......

if i can help please PM me

thanks matt

oh , i will also ship u a Complimentary Prize pack that includes my latest promotional pipe dream, the PARTS CANVAS MATCHING TOOL ROLLS TOTE BAGS

DOUBLE Sided LOGOS of course ...........

we spared no expense , to give a BIG shout out to the long since GHOSTS of VINTAGE NipponDenso folks and the TOYOTA AUTO BODY EMPIRE OF THE 1980's too

the links is a SAFTEY issue too with that 16ga wire u added , don't drive your 89 till its correctly repaired .........my 2 cents on that ..

B50D0067-73F2-444F-A1C0-DB9C8616DEAD.jpeg
F9B4FC1B-2F54-4DA9-8302-81976D4AA98E.jpeg
saftey - Copy.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom