no power to fuse panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just bought a 67 fj40 and have no power to the lights, turn signals, or anything else at the dash. There is no power coming in to the fuse panel as well. The motor starts and runs but like I said nothing else works. Any ideas??? Thanks!

I have made some progress. I tried to remove the instrument panel (only came off about 1/2") and when I did the horn now works along with some of the lights. I suspect that there is something loose or shorting behind the panel. Anybody know what it may be? How does the panel come off so one could inspect behind it? Mine only came out maybe a 1/2".

Get a flash light up behind and you will see the speedo cable going to the top of the back side of the instrument cluster. If it's the same as my 76 you need to pinch the connector & it should just pull out, then the instrument cluster will come right out. You might want to disconnect the battery before you do this because the power to the ammeter is not shielded and it may ground out to the dash. It's connected to the lower righthand side of the cluster, the wire is white with a blue line (if memory serves me right) and comes from the fuseable link at your battery's positive post. You can just unplug that wire right at the battery, provided that the PO didn't remove it like was done on mine.

disconnect the battery before you fiddle with the gauge panel. You can fry your amp meter otherwise!

Wholly smokes yes ! do that first ,

wiggle the gage cluster loose what you are fighting is the Threaded speedo cable and the two bottom tabs you may be able to reach around and loosen it .
or tip It forward enough to grab the speedo nut with a small pliers from the top, and bend the two tabs back, your amp meter wires may be grounding out on something.:frown:

I also put a little anti-size on the speedo nut when you put it back together so It's easier next time.

Since it starts and runs, you obviously have power to the ignitions switch. Power goes from the switch to the fuse block so the wire connections in between may be bad. It is a bad connection, not a short circuit.

Got it figured out. The wires going to the amp meter were bare and touching together. Also, the ignition switch had recently been changed and one of the wires that goes from the ignition switch to the fuse panel was not hooked up. Thanks for everybodys help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom