No power to AC compressor?? Need further assistance (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. My 96 Cruiser AC is not working. There is no refridgerant in the system at all. Here is what I have done so far:

-Ran 12v direct to compressor with engine running and it kicked on and sounded great. only did this for 10 sec or so
-tried to put in r134 with gauge hooked up and nothing would go in and gauge read 0.
-bypass on pressure switch. There was only power to one side. Someone was in here before and had a wire splice on the yellow/red stripe wire going to the yellow/red stripe in the glove box area by the module. They must have thought this wire had a short or something. I took that out and did a continutiy test on that wire and it was fine. wierd.
-There is no power at the black/white stripe wire plugged into compressor
-Fuse panel AC fuse good
-took out glove box
-AC switch triggers relay in the AC module
-I used a chart with tests for the module found here on mud.

As for testing the amplifier:

Terminal Specification
6 & ground------------------continuity
8 & 9-----------------------continuity
2 & 6 A/C switch "ON"-------battery voltage
2 & 6 A/C switch "OFF"------no voltage
3 & 6 A/C switch "ON"-------battery voltage
3 & 6 A/C switch "OFF"------no voltage
5 & 6 start engine-----------10-14 volts
5 & 6 stop engine------------no voltage
9 & 6-----------------------1500 Ohms (@25 degrees C)

--- measurements that where no good on mine:
2 & 6 A/C switch "ON"-----battery voltage
I had no voltage at all

5 & 6 start engine --------10-14 volts
I had little voltage here. Tester showed .7V

The number 2 wire is a yellow/green stripe i believe and I cant find that wire anywhere. I also cant find the black/white stripe that goes to the back of compressor any further than the harness it connects too on pass side wheel well.

Any Help would be great. Trying to make this a summer camping/expedition vehicle and would like to have A/C for the girl and son and I cant lie myself too. :)

Anyone?

So you tried to put in R134 and it wouldn't go in? How did you hook it up? Manifold gauge or just low side hose?

I used low side with filler tube/ gauge w engine running ac on high. The compressor won't kick on due to no power. I think it needs to be running to suck up the r134. Would no pressure do something to power feed even if I have pressure switch (behind Dr. Side headlight) bypassed?

Last edited:
you shouldn't have to bypass anything. Try using a manifold to fill the system. The compressor won't turn on until you have some freon in the system.

But would the power lead to the compressor (black/white stripe) still have power? I would think regardless it would get the power to turn on but just would not kick on due to low r134.

Just hooked up a new bottle a few min ago with the gauge and it went to about 35 psi. Can was crazy cold and used no liquid really. Compressor did and will not kick on. Still has no power to it.

This is from the FSM

WHEN THE IGNITION SW IS TURNED ON, THE CURRENT FROM THE GAUGE FUSE FLOWS THROUGH THE THE A/C DUAL PRESSURE
SW TO TERMINAL 3 OF THE A/C AMPLIFIER. IF THE HEATER CONTROL SW IS THEN TURNED ON, THE CURRENT FLOWS FROM THE
FL HEATER FUSE THROUGH THE A.C. FUSE TO TERMINAL (B) 17 OF THE HEATER CONTROL SW. WHEN THE A/C IS TURNED ON,
THE CURRENT FLOWS FROM TERMINAL (B) 17 OF THE HEATER CONTROL SW TO TERMINAL (B) 6 " TERMINAL 2 OF THE A/C
AMPLIFIER, ACTIVATING THE A/C AMPLIFIER. THE CURRENT THEN FLOWS FROM TERMINAL 7 OF THE A/C AMPLIFIER TO TERMINAL
4 OF THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. RELAY " TERMINAL 3 " TERMINAL 1 OF A/C MAGNETIC CLUTCH " GROUND. THIS CAUSES
THE COMPRESSOR TO START. WHEN THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE IS APPROX. 108C (226F), THE WATER TEMP. SW
(A/C) IS TURNED ON AND THE A/C CUT RELAY IS ACTIVATED. THIS TURNS THE COMPRESSOR OFF AND STOPS THE AIR
CONDITIONING. THE AIR CONDITIONING ALSO TURNS OFF, IF A SIGNAL IS INPUT TO THE A/C AMPLIFIER THAT THE AIR OUTLET
TEMPERATURE IS LOW (BELOW APPROX. 3C) OR THE REFRIGERANT PRESSURE IS ABNORMALLY LOW.

Put another can in, don't forget to add oil if it's not a mix. The compressor won't kick on unless there is enough pressure in the system. Unfortunately you didn't pull a vacuume so there will ba a lot of air in your system. I don't know a lot about a/c either but I bought all the gauges and vacuume pump at harbor freight and mine has blown cold for two years now.

The compressor should kick in soon after adding 134 through low side. About 20 psi I think. Putting the can in hot water bath will aid flow.

Sounds like you have a few issues and the first would be to get power to the compressor. Then worry about refeig amount. Then address cleaning and AC system dryness, valves, o-rings, etc.

It was up to 35 psi when I hooked up a can. No fluid dispensed though. The can got ice cold. I see now that the compressor starts by completing a circuit with ground. So I was checking the black/white stripe wire at compressor for power with it unplugged.

If I can get it to work and it doesnt leak should I still address these items. And how do you address cleaning and AC system dryness?? Replacing Dryer??
The compressor should kick in soon after adding 134 through low side. About 20 psi I think. Putting the can in hot water bath will aid flow.

Sounds like you have a few issues and the first would be to get power to the compressor. Then worry about refeig amount. Then address cleaning and AC system dryness, valves, o-rings, etc.

I'm no expert but I've done my system.

First you'll need to charge the system in order to figure out your compressor power issues.

Then you'll prob need to vacuum down the system for an hour to evacuate any debris and moisture and then hold vacuum for 30 min to determine that there are no leaks.

If leaks then fix (o-rings and valves most likely). If no leaks then replace dryer/receiver and recharge system.

You can rent vacuum pump and manifold gauge from Autozone.

Study up first. FSM has good diagnostics, google for other info.

I brought my cruiser to the shop to have filled with their machine. He said in conclusion after filling system....I have no power to compressor. I have bypassed low/high press switch and that does nothing. Can someone please tell me the other two sensors and their locations to try and bypass. I don't have a lot of experience with this system. Seems w bid confusing. Thanks.

try unplugging the over temp sensor that is located on the driver's side under the intake manifold. It's right next to the water temp sensor.
if this switch is defective and completing the circuit to ground, it will cut power to the compressor. unplug the connector from the switch and see if the compressor powers up.

You might check the thermistor. It's a 2 wire sensor switch behind the glove box. The sensor feeds into the black air box and it is my understanding that when it gets too cold or malfunctions it shuts off the compressor. I bypassed it on my 92 by wire nutting the 2 wires together. AC would blow down to low 30's. Now with new thermistor it gets down to about 40. Not sure if yours is the same or if this will help, just another idea.

Well tried unplugging it and still no power to compressor. Any other ideas. [ QUOTE=rockrod;7633263]try unplugging the over temp sensor that is located on the driver's side under the intake manifold. It's right next to the water temp sensor.
if this switch is defective and completing the circuit to ground, it will cut power to the compressor. unplug the connector from the switch and see if the compressor powers up.[/QUOTE]

Also I noticed small leaks on both in and out of condensor fittings. My mechanic put dye in the system. Could it all have leaked out in 3 days? I could hear it leaking out of one very very slow this morning upon inspecting.

No luck bypassing thermistor behind glove box either...also I ran 12 v. Direct from battery To comp. And it blows cold.[Q.UOTE=SUMMIT CRUISERS;7633321]You might check the thermistor. It's a 2 wire sensor switch behind the glove box. The sensor feeds into the black air box and it is my understanding that when it gets too cold or malfunctions it shuts off the compressor. I bypassed it on my 92 by wire nutting the 2 wires together. AC would blow down to low 30's. Now with new thermistor it gets down to about 40. Not sure if yours is the same or if this will help, just another idea.[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom