No power No Ignition - Any Help would be greatly appreciated! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bradyadventures.com
Strange thing has been happening the last couple weeks. On three occasions the keyless entry has not worked and there is no power at all. Turn the key and there is nothing. I have a dual battery system and if I manually combine the batteries everything turns back on. I am essentially jumping the main battery. On the first two occasions when I combined the batteries the security system went off and I was able to turn it off the honking with the key fob. The third time things just worked again with no alarm. The main battery shows a full charge and after I do this it seems to recover for a day or two. Not really sure if timing is significant or predictable since it’s only happened a few times and it’s not my daily driver. I found a couple threads referencing a fuse under the hood and one in the kick panel that might be the culprit. I didn’t find the exact (by title) fuses mentioned but checked nearly every fuse and they are all good. The ground and all battery connections are solid too.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I would start with all the connections between the 2 batteries and the jumper switch,
check both batteries with a load tester?

Carry a multimeter with you and the next time go check the voltage in the main battery before you jump it off with the auxiliary battery.

Carry a multimeter with you and the next time go check the voltage in the main battery before you jump it off with the auxiliary battery.
Thanks that's a great idea!

I would start with all the connections between the 2 batteries and the jumper switch,
check both batteries with a load tester?
I think you're right. I am hopeful a loose connection at the main battery is the culprit. On Friday I was headed out to do some camping and checked all the connections one last time. The pos and neg terminal connections were a tiny bit loose. They weren't loose enough to come off and didn't seem they would cause an issue but I tightened them up and the truck sat all weekend at my camp spot and never went dead. Hopefully it's as simple as that. Thanks for your response!
20201106_170149.jpg

So I had this exact issue. Power with both batteries connected, but intermittently I had issues with power cutting out. The fix was so simple for me it was a little embarrassing. I had a dual battery setup with mil-spec connectors. I kept checking the connection at the terminal, but I wasn't thinking to check the wire that connects to the mil-spec connector. Thankfully for me, it was just the cable to the connector on the main battery that was loose. The cables that connect to the terminal didn't need to be very loose before they just lost the connection either. I haven't ever had battery terminal connectors that weren't crimped on so I didn't even think to add those connections to my mental list.

So I had this exact issue. Power with both batteries connected, but intermittently I had issues with power cutting out. The fix was so simple for me it was a little embarrassing. I had a dual battery setup with mil-spec connectors. I kept checking the connection at the terminal, but I wasn't thinking to check the wire that connects to the mil-spec connector. Thankfully for me, it was just the cable to the connector on the main battery that was loose. The cables that connect to the terminal didn't need to be very loose before they just lost the connection either. I haven't ever had battery terminal connectors that weren't crimped on so I didn't even think to add those connections to my mental list.
awesome thanks! same setup for me. I went through and tightened everything so hopefully I am good. I am also a little embarrassed 😅

awesome thanks! same setup for me. I went through and tightened everything so hopefully I am good. I am also a little embarrassed 😅

I will happily take being a little embarrassed about a simple fix over needing of a tough fix! Hopefully it fixes things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom