No power from coil to distributor... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

also make sure the little round graphite button on a spring is not missing from the inside center of the distributor cap.
I believe I saw it in there, I’ll check in the morning.
How far proud should it be? There is definitely a graphite colored button in there though, just not sure if it’s integrity.
Thanks for you help thus far, it is appreciated.
Ian

Replace the wire from the (-) coil terminal to the distributor and try it again. Sometimes the copper conductor will break Inside the insulation.

Replace the wire from the (-) coil terminal to the distributor and try it again. Sometimes the copper conductor will break Inside the insulation.
Tried this and still no go.
Dude I know from a city up the road that rhymes with Ass is a classic car guy, from listening to me turn it over on the phone he said I needed a new capacitor and new points. To prove this he had me put my test light on the - of the coil and crank it, the light didn’t flash it just kind of dimmed.
What do y’all think?

Still no spark...

new capacitor [condensor] and new points are a good idea.
A new set of leads would be advisable too. If the center distributor high tension lead is dodgy, there will be no spark,
when testing for spark, make sure the spark plug is earthed to the engine properly.
[thread of spark plug resting on head bolt for example]

Last edited:
Hopefully this helps a little. Not sure which setup you have. Are you sure you have a ground path on the output of the points to close the circuit? Are your points clean? Gapped correctly? Do you see them open and close as the distributer turns? Are you sure your rotor is aligned with the correct spark plug timing? Are your spark plug wires connected to the proper terminal on the distributor so the correct plug fires at the correct time?

Ignition #1.jpg

Ignition #2.jpg

A year & a half later but those are good diagrams. I'm copying for my files. Thanks.
I'm having the same problem.
Everything new
No spark from the high tension lead from the coil.
Did you fix the problem ?.

I did fix the problem by installing a Pertronix and the accompanying flamethrower coil. All bought from Pertronix, IIRC.

Grounds were an issue, as they almost always are.

I forgot about this thread, it being 3+ years ago, but man, what a journey it’s been here on Mud. Because of this forum I have become a much more knowledgeable hack.

This 40 has been running great and it’s been a group effort. I couldn’t have done it without you all.

I’m now confident I could take on almost any task with my 40.

Thanks everyone!

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom