No power/crank after shorting the starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Project FJ60 would start and run.

I was bending brake line by front axle and a loose ground on frame touched the positive wire going to the starter. Now I have no power to the dash and battery is at 12.9V

First thought is fusible link, but I can’t seem to find one. I’ve checked all fuses on inside panel, I have not checked relays as I don’t know where to start with that.

One thing to note, previous owner may have removed fusible links (or please help me find them)- also he installed some sort of switch on dash- I have no idea what it is, but the fuse running to it didn’t blow.. and it didn’t seem to effect starting before this happened

36F277C3-44DD-4B95-803B-AAA55D749E10.jpeg

6A546A85-2511-4635-9B03-5A57AD30072F.jpeg

E2C3DEF2-386A-49A1-8360-1723CA802D50.jpeg

4925C356-7CD3-4B6A-96C4-AF03DDD08FDB.jpeg

E40EE5E0-A769-4751-BF1F-0BBAFC383D13.jpeg

I'd start by reattaching the loose ground terminal to the engine block, and cleaning the battery terminals and the battery posts.
Take the wire out of the positive battery terminal and clean that as well, as for your fuisble links (according to your firs picture )
looks like they're just got bypassed by some wire connected to the positive battery terminal.

That
I'd start by reattaching the loose ground terminal to the engine block, and cleaning the battery terminals and the battery posts.
Take the wire out of the positive battery terminal and clean that as well, as for your fuisble links (according to your firs picture )
looks like they're just got bypassed by some wire connected to the positive battery terminal.
That fixed it, just had to remove battery wires and reattach them. Easiest fix yet

Add a 40 amp fuse between the wiring harness and the battery. It will be your new fusible link. It’ll prevent the whole harness from melting down or a fire starting if a short occurs before the fuse block.

Add a 40 amp fuse between the wiring harness and the battery. It will be your new fusible link. It’ll prevent the whole harness from melting down or a fire starting if a short occurs before the fuse block.
@OSS Thank you, if I go that route instead of a fusible link- what wire do I splice it into? There is one wire from the battery spliced into 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom