No Name 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my son @theglobb says I have to post a build thread, but I just seem to have trouble keeping online info up to date. MUD has been invaluable for responses to questions, so that may be where most posts start.
I have no problem nick-naming people, but have never been able to name my vehicles. So I'm open to suggestions - maybe even a small prize for something that really strikes me!
We had the opportunity to pick up this 80 late last year.
1997 HDJ80 - 313,000 km approx when received - 5-speed manual - triple lockers - OME suspension - Cooper tires
Some photos follow. Follow-up posts will include info on routine maintenance, changes, and upgrades done to date.
IMG_9759 - Copy.JPG

IMG_8065.JPG

IMG_8064.JPG

IMG_6865.JPG

Last edited:
They don't all need a name, sometimes it takes a few years for some of my projects to get a name, sometimes they name themselves along the way. That is a very cool Cruiser to start with. I can't wait to see what you make of this one

Silver Fox. All day long.

Grey ghost. Second only to silver fox.

Sharp rig.

I don't name my vehicles.

But I did name the farm animals that we kept for butchering......

Nice truck!

Updates / replacements so far:
  • Wiper blades
  • Thermostat
  • Coolant
  • Belts
  • Hood struts
  • Alternator rebuild with new rectifier and brush
  • Oil and filter change
  • Transmission & transfer case gear oil
  • Differentials fluid
  • Door window rubber runs & inner weatherstrips replaced
  • Marathon front seat covers
  • Escape Gear rear seat cover - had diffulty finding the rear domestically as it is a single seat, not split

Installed a roof rack built from extruded aluminum channels.
Parts from tnutz.com . Rain gutter brackets from gamiviti.com
I previously built a really heavy duty rack for a Prado, but wanted to go "lean" with this one. So I'm experimenting with smaller channel to see if it will hold up. It's really stiff bolted up, but we will see how the hardware holds up over the long run.
We don't load it too much - usually a couple of paddle boards and a kayak.
IMG_8206.JPG

IMG_8207.JPG

Tires are LT235/85R16, Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

This 80 has an auxiliary fuel tank, but I have not used it yet. Does anyone have recommendations for what would be smart to do or check before using the tank?

Tires are LT235/85R16, Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx
When I was hunting 255/85s they were special order only. Were your 235/85s the same?

This 80 has an auxiliary fuel tank, but I have not used it yet. Does anyone have recommendations for what would be smart to do or check before using the tank?
I think there are some threads on here for that. But as it's an overseas option primarily, try landcruiserclub.net. Lots of international option info there.

The front right window went down this past weekend but would not go back up. Applied 12V directly to the motor connector inside the door and still no operation.
All of the windows seem to operate slowly so I had previoulsy replaced the window run rubbers. I read this post:
Drivers power window not working - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/drivers-power-window-not-working.1310606/post-14929901
and removed the regulator and motor. Removed hardened grease on regulator and gears. Cleaned motor rotor and brushes. New grease and cleaned up motor now works. I think the main issue was years of built up crud on the rotor and brushes.
The window operates more quickly now, so the other 3 windows probably need the same treatment.

Sweet find !!
No name 80 is a perfect name 😎

Where did you find the weathstripping? Did you replace on outside of windows as well? Mine is dry rotted from the texas heat. Need to replace a lot of rubber on the outside. Looking for a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom