No more points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This morning I swaped out the points dizzy(think it was a 77) on the 76 fj45(77 2f motor) with a complete fj60(or 8/80 fj40+) electronic set up. Very nice swap the 45 seems to have a little more power, no run on(never could get that figured out), smoother idling and no more damn points to mess with :D

Took maybe 2 hours but more that time was in replacing the side cover and getting the old gasket off.

I gotta say I was worried about getting the dizzy in correctly, but I followed the manual and the advice of this list and it went perfect. Not much chance with the latter dizzy of not getting it all the way(to engage the pump) its either in or it sticks up too far(mount to block)

I just set it at TDC and one the #1 plug on cap. Pulled it out. When I put the 60 dizzy in(its bigger) things didn't quite line up because the points dizzy and 60 dizzy are not the same size so the angle of the rotor was not the same, but I mentaly corrected for this and did have to turn the slot in the pump just a bit for it all to line up......then it slid right in and rotated over to the right spot(#1 on cap) I swap the coil out for the coil/ignitor, hooked up the wire from the igniton switch to the ign connector. I checked the oil presure(coil wire off, crank started, sweet I got presure. then fired it up..................went on the 1st turn :) adjusted the timing just a bit and took her for a drive....ran great! :D

All I needed wasa used fj60 dizzy($40) a fj60 coil ignitor($30) and a dimpled fj60 side cover($10) bought a new cap, rotor, side cover gasket, the old plug wires(newish OEM) swaped over, but the coil wore didn't, so I dug up a fj62 wire.

Oh and I pluged off the outer advancer diaphram(high altitude) and just hooked the vacuume advance hose to the inner port(I run a 67 Aisin 1 barrel)

BTW, thanks Steve(Poser) for telling me its no big deal to pull and install the dizzy.....I needed the confidence boost ;) In the back of my mind I still expected something to go wrong.....but it was a piece of cake....couldn't have been easier :D

One question I have, the 2 breather ports on the fj60 cap......what should I do with them? I plug the small one up and was gonna do the same with the larger one......then thought that maybe it needs to breath? thoughts?

John

TTT

Just in case someone was interested.......and so I don't feel ignored :flipoff2:

Well, I will second the question, what are the vents for? Can we plug them, just did the same swap, get a free big top "dizzy" with some other parts and swapped it in. Not messing with points alone is worth my time!

Landpimp, did you plugged the outer vacuum port on the dist. advance or the inner?

Drew <><

Pimp, on the later dizzies, the two vacuum timing advance ports are 8degrees for the inner one, and 8+ an aditional 4 for the outside. I run them t'd together. The ports on the cap go to the aircleaner, or get capped if yer smog free...

So your saying connect the ports for the advance and end up with 16degs of advance? or 20degs. Isn't this gunna cause pinging or?

So cap the ports on the cap........will do :) I can't see why they need air. On my fj60 one of the vents goes into the cab.........so maybe it needs some air?

John H

[quote author=Chef link=board=1;threadid=13843;start=msg128916#msg128916 date=1080593856]
Pimp, on the later dizzies, the two vacuum timing advance ports are 8degrees for the inner one, and 8+ an aditional 4 for the outside. I run them t'd together. The ports on the cap go to the aircleaner, or get capped if yer smog free...
[/quote]

FWIW I pluged the outer port, thats the one for high altitide on a smoged fj60(or later 40)

[quote author=Drew <>< link=board=1;threadid=13843;start=msg128911#msg128911 date=1080593437]
Well, I will second the question, what are the vents for? Can we plug them, just did the same swap, get a free big top "dizzy" with some other parts and swapped it in. Not messing with points alone is worth my time!

Landpimp, did you plugged the outer vacuum port on the dist. advance or the inner?

Drew <><
[/quote]

John,
Since you are a miticulous cataloger of data, I am assuming you have data on gas mileage and performance before the swap and you soon will be able to provide comparable data after the swap. That would be great!

Ken

nope, I don't, never checked on the 45.........and I don't care...........its a 45 man :D

But it can only be better.

John

[quote author=Romer link=board=1;threadid=13843;start=msg129097#msg129097 date=1080612486]
John,
Since you are a miticulous cataloger of data, I am assuming you have data on gas mileage and performance before the swap and you soon will be able to provide comparable data after the swap. That would be great!

Ken
[/quote]

Congrats on the swap John!!

See, a little faith in yourself goes a long, long way!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

The smaller port should go to a distributor filter assembly that will be mounted on the inside of the firewall, and poke through into the engine bay.

The larger port goes to a VCV that is usually attached to the bottom side of the air filter housing on the passenger side.

I believe the idea here is to keep fresh air circulating through the distributor to help control the creation of corrosive ozone in a sealed environment.

Good luck!

-Steve

FYI, sort of related. i did a HEI swap on my 2F several years ago. much improvement like the fj60 is i bet. in addition to smoother running at all RPM and a seemingly better "pull" through the rpm range i got about a 2mpg boost, which contributes to an estimated 16 mpg

Now that's good info.
John, 8+4=12 total...Probably I'm not wording it very well earlier...or now...

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=13843;start=msg129124#msg129124 date=1080614212]
Congrats on the swap John!!

See, a little faith in yourself goes a long, long way!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

The smaller port should go to a distributor filter assembly that will be mounted on the inside of the firewall, and poke through into the engine bay.

The larger port goes to a VCV that is usually attached to the bottom side of the air filter housing on the passenger side.

I believe the idea here is to keep fresh air circulating through the distributor to help control the creation of corrosive ozone in a sealed environment.

Good luck!

-Steve
[/quote]

Yeah...............OK ;) I'll hook em up and see what happens........and let ya know.......I really want 20deg :flipoff2:

John (spelling and math challanged.........see what a private school edjumakation gets ya :D

[quote author=Chef link=board=1;threadid=13843;start=msg129209#msg129209 date=1080619813]
Now that's good info.
John, 8+4=12 total...Probably I'm not wording it very well earlier...or now...
[/quote]

Setting the little ball on the lower edge of/or exiting the window, instead of on the pointer, should get you close to ten, which even with points I did not notice any problems with starting or run on, and if putting the two vaccum advance ports together nets you 12, then you would get to 20 or 22 pretty easily...

Run good, non-oxygenated premium fuel, and you will be good to go...and of course, it will still run just fine on the other garbage...

Good luck!

-Steve

What is considered high altitude?

I will be close to 10,000 feet all summer, that has to qualify doesn't it? What about the timing advance up at that elevation?

Drew <><

Will this setup fit in my '65 1F engine?

Or should I go a different rout such as Pertronix. I don't have a problem with either one, just weighing my options.

Thanks,

Dave

Will this setup fit in my '65 1F engine?

Or should I go a different rout such as Pertronix. I don't have a problem with either one, just weighing my options.

Thanks,
Dave
Yes, it will drop in to the 65 F engine.

But I would just put a pertronix module into your existing dizzy, since it is already a non-smog dizzy.

Yes, it will drop in to the 65 F engine.

But I would just put a pertronix module into your existing dizzy, since it is already a non-smog dizzy.

Thanks Jim,

Coming from the Obi-Wan Kenobi of Carbs and Distributors I'll get the pertronix

Dave

Why would there be ozone in a non-points distributor? O3 is created by sparks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom