No more living vicariously, I got one! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys have too much time on your hands!

Took the opportunity/ made the excuse to move the truck so I could mow the lawn.

First time I've seen it from a distance/three quarter view with the new boots and bumper, and some of the green paint sanded off. I'm liking the way its coming together. Just need to get it to stop now.

View attachment 1103908

Lookin' sharp sneak! I take it the handbrake sufficed for the lawn event?

I made sure I parked my wife's car uphill from it, but yeah it held ok. Could probably do with adjusting at some point though.

So with the neighbours away I took over their driveway! I have three weeks to make the most of the situation.

Slid their car to the side with the go jacks, and took over. I'm kind of looking forward to not lying in the dirt.

Found out I got a connection wrong on the refurbished tail lights, but that's an easy fix.

Just waiting on a rear brake hose and I'll install new cylinders on the rear, bleed it and hopefully be one step closer to road legal.

Anyone got any tips for the rear brakes or things I need to double check when I'm in there?

So I got everything back together and replaced the rubber hose from the chassis to the diff. I wasn't sure about replacing it, but glad I did, no idea how long the clamp had been on it?
IMG_0229.JPG

The truck came with two hard lines that mount to the diff, one was obviously newer than the other so I put it on and we bled the brakes, only to find that the newer looking one had a block somewhere inside and fluid wasn't flowing from one side to the other. So on went the old one.

About this time my assistant pointed out the lack of cup holders.
IMG_0257.JPG

Then we discovered we'd sucked air into the system and we had to start again, and we'd run out of fluid by effectively flushing out the system. What came out was fairly disgusting though so happy to have flushed it all.

So when we had more fluid we started again and had the system to what I thought was bled, only to find that the brakes need a couple of pumps to work, discovered as I moved it back to my front yard. I think I might need to go over it all again, and/or bleed the booster that's been fitted. Might have another look at the manual to make sure I'm following the correct procedure.

Little bit of progress.

Take 1 plumbing pipe collar,
IMG_0264.JPG

Trim it to the right shape add a couple of holes,
IMG_0265.JPG

And we have a transfer case rubber boot.
IMG_0267.JPG

Now I just need to replace the vinyl, but this at least should stop some of the heat and noise coming in. No idea how well it will cope with the heat, but for $10 and 15 minutes work, I'm happy for now.

After bleeding the brakes again, I've determined it must be an adjustment issue, so I'll get back to that. Also managed to pull the radiator and change everything but the bypass hose.

Want me to swing by Saturday afternoon and we'll have a bleed of it all?

I'll be playing spot the 40 series on the way to Bellingen this weekend.

..so is that a no? I do have a 40 series key.

? I do have a 40 series key.

You assumed it was locked, rookie mistake.

Would it be possible to postpone a couple of weeks? Have a feeling I might be working weekends towards the end of the month.

Yeah all is well mate. Just had a rare free afternoon and a Saturday afternoon in September is one fine month to be given outdoor detail :beer:

So after a 1000 Km road trip last weekend and seeing some of the appalling and unsafe driving people are capable of, I decided that I wasn't really comfortable with the idea of the drum brakes on a truck I want to go exploring in. So I picked up a disc brake front diff over the weekend from a BJ42, just missing the free wheeling hubs. Drove an hour from home with @84TROOPY 's trailer to pick it up. Big thanks Peter and I owe you some beer for not cleaning that spilt oil. I feel bad about that, sorry.

Need to start researching what I'm going to do, re: ratios, axle types, spline count, etc, as I'm a bit uncertain on what the best way forward is and when things changed in production. Either way, it will get stripped down, cleaned and a kit put through it.
IMG_0288.JPG

Its pushed into the corner for the moment, its down the list of things to do.

Also down the list is upgrading the alternator. The guy I got the diff from gave me an alternator from a Ford XF Falcon. Its a bosch unit that has an internal regulator and is rated at 80 amps. I think. I need to look into this further, but hopefully it will work out. He had it running on his truck and told me how to wire it up, but I wasn't paying close enough attention.
IMG_0287.JPG

I had the 45 parked on the street for a couple of days last week, and while it didn't stop traffic, a few cars slowed down & it got a couple of "That's awesome" from tradesmen working near by.

Can I keep the twin piston drum rear when going to a disc front with a disc/drum master and booster?

Have read conflicting reports, and it would be a shame to have just rebuilt the rear to find I can't use it.

I would love to help but literally have NFI. Whatever Mr. Toyoda used..?

He's a crafty one Mr Toyoda, almost sneaky....

Going through numerous pages of online parts catalogues the closest I can find is that twin cylinder rear drum were used with a tandem master cylinder and booster arrangement. And that's from looking at the hoses and clamps page, not anything direct like the front axle or brake pages.

Had some truck time today and managed to get the brakes adjusted. What a PIA that job is! I think its about as good as its going to get, but I still don't like the amount of travel in the pedal, but the pressure is really good.

I've also been told/given the hurry up to get the truck on the toad to go away in over the Christmas break, so it may be going to a trained professional to finish off and get road legal.

Heyyyyyyy, what a brilliant tactic! Wait til the :princess: gets the s***s then she forces you to get it tidied up while you sit back with a beer!

Heyyyyyyy, what a brilliant tactic! Wait til the :princess: gets the s***s then she forces you to get it tidied up while you sit back with a beer!

Its Peter's fault, I showed my wife the photos of his Mt Mee trip and we had the " what does the truck need to go away camping?" conversation. Its more about being able to go camping again, this is probably the first year that we've not been able to go camping for lack of a suitable vehicle. So early December if I haven't got it sorted, I'm going to send it out.

I've also made a start on stripping down the disc axle I have. Hard brake lines and calliper's all came off easily and will get rebuilt at some point. Just need to confirm diff ratios.

Good plan! I'm almost there myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom