No More Cruising (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a hectic few weeks at work combined with the birth of my second daughter and hence I've been away from the board for a few weeks.

I've spent a lot of time on this board (and SOR) over the last year. I've got to know some of you (even spoken to one or two) and in the process learned a great deal about Landcruisers and their common problems. I planned to keep my 80 for the rest of its useful life but I'm afraid I have sold out..
The thing is, I had several expensive items on my 'to do' list, I also had my truck stolen (then recovered) a month or so ago - and that was playing on my mind. The government is also scrapping the tax breaks on LPG (despite promising not to) Without these breaks I'll be paying $5 a gallon - that becomes expensive when you get 11 MPG

I often drive past a 4x4 dealer close to my home and a week ago I spotted a Nissan Patrol short wheel base. The SWB is uncommon and it looked good - I stopped to take a look. Before I knew it the salesman was making me an offer for mine. The Patrol has done only 17,000 miles and is 2 years old. I only had to pay $7,000 to swap vehicles. It was too tempting.

So the Landcruiser is gone and I now drive a Patrol. So far I'm happy with it although I do miss the luxuries of the 80. What I like about the patrol is economy - being a diesel it averages 24 (US) to the gallon. It also has a switch to engage/disengage the rear anti roll bar in order to allow greater axle articulation or good on road handling. These are the stats:

Transmission: 5 speed, manual, 2H/4H/4L 4WD
Engine: Direct Injection, Turbocharged, Intercooled, 3000 cc, Diesel
Power Output: 158 bhp
Torque: 256 @ 2000
Top Speed: 99 mph
0-60 mph: 15 secs
Economy: 26.2 - 32.4 mpg (imperial)

I thought I would tell my tale rather than just disappear. I haven't found another 4x4 board that can compare to this one. The knowledge here is immense. I'm always struck by people's willingness to help and patience to explain to the less experienced (especially me with my very basic mechanical knowledge) It has been a fun place. I probably would have done more work in the afternoons had I not found SOR/iH8MUD - but then agin I would not have had as much fun. Hopefully I can stick around despite being a Nissan owner? - a lot of 4x4 issues are generic.

Cheers, Jim

Very nice looking vehicle. I was impressed by the pathfinder I worked on last year, Nissan makes nice trucks. Good luck with it, hopefully you'll find time to share your extensive 80 knowledge here.

mmm, gu shorty, we dont get them here, only the long wheel base wagons and utes. Not quite a cruiser but every bit as strong underneith, and much nicer than any petrol vehicle.

they are popular around here especially the 3litre td and the 4.2litre td, so there should be quite a few english speaking people around to help you still.

sam

Anyone want a FSM for US spec '97 80? Postage is going to be expensive ($30?) Make me an offer (PM) if you're interested. It might as well go to the Landcruiser community rather than sit in my garage. It has a few greasey finger prints on it (front axle section) but is complete.

Woody. A Nissan Patrol section would make my day. Thanks for a great forum

Cheers, Jim

Cool 8) Why does the rest of the world get all the COOL toys and we USA only get luxury :'(
kurt

[quote author=Jim_Phillips link=board=2;threadid=4185;start=0#msg31022 date=1060348837]
Woody. A Nissan Patrol section would make my day. Thanks for a great forum
[/quote]

Find a couple other guys who are interested, and I'll add one. Hate to create one tho and have you sitting in there by yourself...hehehe...

I know the older patrols are RARE in the US, and many had FJ40 running gear swapped under them since it was more common. I had option on 2 mid-60's patrols to buy, and passed...the kewl factor was there, the time/$$ wasn't.

There was a Patrol where use to cut fire wood. We had a log spliter on the back of a IH Scout and the plan was to do the same with the Patrol but I found a different job and never got to drive it.
kurt

Jim -

Nice looking rig. Can you put lockers on it?
Sorry to hear you are leaving the 80 ranks, info about your VX was very useful to the group.
Sent you a PM about the manual...

- Sean

It comes with rear lockers. You can get front lockers but I think I'll manage without. The good news is that ARB/OME etc all do their parts for it - so I'll be able to modify when the $s are available.

Check your PM - I sent you a reply.

Woody

The Yahoo group is prety good. I posted a few questions before I bought mine and the replies came back fast and accurate. I still like the set up of this forum better. I find it difficult to follow a thread on the Yahoo group sites.

Jim,
You are lucky the Wulf is on vacation.
that's two consecutive post.... without the use of your "modify" feature :D

Check out 4x4parts.com for some nissan boards. I used to hang around there when I was playing with the Pathfinder. Not a lot of international stuff, but good guys and they know what a Patrol is.

I can understand the pain of 11 mpg at $5 gallon, hell it hurts bad enought at $2 gallon. I wish we could get some good turbodiesels here.

Cary

Jim, first congrats on the two new additions. Second, sorry to see you go. Perhaps you will still lurk and post occasionally. I still post once and awhile on a 996 board with just as great a community as this one even tho I've not owned a 996 for over a year now. Hope you'll stick around. Cheers!

Personally, I don't think you SHOULD go! Who else could we talk to about Boddingtons, spare "tyres" on the "bonnet" and side marker lights!

Nissan Patrol/80 series, close enough in my book to stick around. You might even teach us another thing or two while you're learning about the new rig.

:D

-H-

(Who knows where there's a 1968 Patrol in need of some TLC for $500... Hmm, we could get that section going...now how to explain a new project to the wife... ;) )

Jim,

Sad to see you've gone to the darkside. Well, it's not that bad I guess. The patrol to me looks like an 80 series from the side, but a 100 series from the front. I dig the two door option. At first glance I thought it was a photochopped 80, then I realized the magnitude of your sin. :D

Anyways, congrats on both of your new babies. Stick around. I too would miss your help and humor. :D

Jim, congrats on the family asddition but sorry to hear you won’t be around (I’m glad to see you have moved from LC to the next best thing). Your different experience and perspective was always interesting and often pointed out different ways of looking at or fixing things. You should come back once in a while and tell us a little about the differences and similarities between the two vehicles.

hey Jim,congrats on the birth of your daughter!!!

man,from what i read the diesels are the bomb for gas mileage and longevity!!!

good luck with that!!!!!

doug

Congrats as well. I do have to say that I hve enjoyed owning a diesel. They are great on fuel and very, very reliable. Note that due to vibration (I think) they do seem to go through batteries and rads.

Now that I have an 80 coming and selling the diesel I have since found a very good battery supplier that seems more reliable than most others.

Good luck and keep that fuel clean (no water).

Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom