no mod goes unpunished - electrical issues again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
here we go again.

This week end - I thought, instead of just fixing some broken part of the Fj - that I would add a functional upgrade, in the form of sound.

I found the NOAM n4 speaker, and micro marine amp, with just a simple aux in port. Nothing fancy, just plug the phone in and get some tunes.

I followed the instructions and wired (from the battery pos and battery neg) directly to the AMP (which has a fuse in-line in the pos wire). I wanted to avoid any fuse-box issues that have plagued me in the recent past. Also, wired in a lighted on-off switch to avoid draining the battery by leaving it on.
I tested everything, including the speakers and, after getting the right ground -it sounded great.

Put it all back together - and then turn it on, all good. Go to plug in the phone charger into the cigarette lighter port - and "POP/Spark" - pops the 3rd fuse from the top in the fuse box. I replace the fuse, and same thing happens. Look at the cigarette lighter to see if something happened there - but cant see any visual issues. What could have happened. I know I was back in the dash running some wires back and forth (the Pos and Neg from the battery, and the wires to the aux-in port and on-off switch). So its possible I jerked something around that I shouldn't have, but visually (and its a PITA to see it all) - couldn't see anything that would scream "heres your short"!

reminder - I didn't touch the fuse box - no wiring to that at all.

Any thoughts on what to try... what to look for ?

Sometimes you have to wonder if you should have even touched it. LOL Been there. LOL. Have you plugged in a different adapter into the cig power socket? your power socket is grounding out when something is plugged in.

Good Luck
JP

No advice, but amen to the mod punishment!

Sounds like your cig lighter socket is bad.. did something get jammed in there?

Was the pop/spark at the fuse panel or the cig lighter, or both?

Pull the cig lighter socket and see what you see.

As for your stereo wiring... how big is the in-line fuse? Rather than wiring it to battery+, I would wire the positive to the ignition wire (only hot when ignition is on), using a relay... then, you don't have to remember to turn it off... the relay would pull from battery+ for power and ONLY from the ignition wire, to trigger the relay.

Sounds like your cig lighter socket is bad.. did something get jammed in there?

Was the pop/spark at the fuse panel or the cig lighter, or both?

Pull the cig lighter socket and see what you see.

As for your stereo wiring... how big is the in-line fuse? Rather than wiring it to battery+, I would wire the positive to the ignition wire (only hot when ignition is on), using a relay... then, you don't have to remember to turn it off... the relay would pull from battery+ for power and ONLY from the ignition wire, to trigger the relay.

Pop was at the cig lighter... but it pops even with nothing in. I can't figure out how to remove the stupid thing....

did you reverse wires on cig lighter? On mine the casing ended up touching dash...and shorted. The oem cig case unscrews from behind the dash..

Here's what the install looks like. The aux in and lighted power on/off switch.

20170311_175509.jpg

Won't forget to turn off that laser beam! :)

Interesting location for the ash tray. Just temporary?

Did you get the lighter out? That white plug is for the aux cord for the iPhone - surprised they didn't make a black option. Although you did mention a marine amp I believe. Is that mounted in the glove box?

I HATE automotive electrical! Amazingly simple, but a place where gremlins love to hang out!

How does your female home base of your cig lighter ground? Yours looks aftermarket and non-metallic if I'm seeing things correctly. Both my 40's metal cig assemblies had lost the ground between the body of the metal cig assembly to metal dash ground due to corrosion, ect. Scuffing the metal dash hole fixed'em. I did also clean the cig lighter units inside so the grounding ears of my male charging adapter had a good ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom