No longer urgent—strange sounds on a road trip, 100 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah, reverse did it?

This is probably a good place to repeat the simple mantra “don’t pull stumps locked and in reverse”. Not saying that’s what you did, but many an 80 owner has learned this the hard way. Probably other models, too. No, not me, but at least one ONSC guy managed to blow F&R at the same time doing just that!

Glad you figured it out. The folks at East Coast Gear in RAL have been real good to many of us in NC.

Ah, reverse did it?

This is probably a good place to repeat the simple mantra “don’t pull stumps locked and in reverse”. Not saying that’s what you did, but many an 80 owner has learned this the hard way. Probably other models, too. No, not me, but at least one ONSC guy managed to blow F&R at the same time doing just that!

Glad you figured it out. The folks at East Coast Gear in RAL have been real good to many of us in NC.

Thanks, I've heard great things about them, including from a friend who did some drivetrain business and said "I've bought over a 100 diffs from them!," so that kind of sealed the deal for me.

Not sure what exactly dealt the death blow to it--I did pull a downed (kinda rotten and partly sawn-through) tree til the trunk broke (it was held between two other trees and could not just be dragged away whole). In reverse. Unlocked (had no locker at the time) but with really good traction.

And did a couple obstacles which caused ATRAC to activate.

But there were no bad noises until we were on the way home. Not sure if the reverse pull weakened the ring gear tooth that then gave up on the highway or if it broke but didn't make any dramatic sounds until the way home. But, yeah, last time I pull anything backwards unless I'm using the winch.

Which reminds me--when winching someone ahead of you backwards with one of these, best to have the truck in neutral, foot on brake to avoid loading the diffs? Seems like having it in park and using the winch might be just as hard on the drivetrain as pulling in reverse.

Thanks for all the help. Wanted to provide some closure for those of you experiencing sleeplessness or anxiety on my behalf...ha!

wiring (Impressive kit with relay and a loooong and beefy harness) for theHarrop e-locker arrived on Saturday and I did some wiring.

Monday morning the diff, with new R&P and e-locker installed, arrived.
Got everything back together and tested the locker last night—everything works!

C641E4C2-8754-45FF-8AD0-72FF5D6BC0E0.jpeg

6304BEC0-6800-4809-972B-7B35D64E26BE.jpeg

CEFF18B6-4794-4384-8524-F64641D27B0E.jpeg

EAB4FD77-7EEC-4330-A4F3-6E9E9A8F0F01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom