No idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
85 fj60 dies when coming to a stop. The engine has been running a little rough but not bad. It starts great and idles fine when cold but upon getting off the highway for example when the motor is warm it wants to die and won't idle. Any ideas?

Is your choke working correctly? Opening/ closing. The choke are the butterflies highest on the carb. Check to see if they are open when the choke knob is pushed in, and closed when the knob is pulled out.

If it runs/idles with the choke all the way out, but wont' idle when no choke, search for Idle Control Solenoid or ICS and check it.

Definitely check the Solenoid as Spike suggests. If that checks out good, look at the vacuum lines on the back side of the carb (up against the air rail) to see if they are good or not. One of them is a fuel cut line that was causing sporadic idling issues for me until I replaced it.

Vacuum leak? In lines or intake (carb base, manifold to head)...

Spikestrip sig line has links to repair manuals, one of which is emission system manual and it has all the diagrams you could ever want. My avatar/profile pic is a pic of the one you need actually....

tonkota said:
Its a little small :D

He's referring to the picture, people!! :D

Thanks for all the ideas and tips guys! I'll be diving into it this week!
Sorry about the delay, just bought a Honda Odyssey for the wifey.

ICS is a good thing to check. I would also check the fusible link/wire/connection on the back of the alternator. A good indicator that there is more than just the ICS is that you are having other electrical problems like your dash lights don't work.

On mine I had head lights and power to start, but no dash lights, no turn signals, no dome lights, no HVAC fan, and basically no other simple electrical items. I simply forgot to hook that wire back up when I replaced my alternator and lost all of those functions including my idle. Once I looked under the hood and hooked it up, everything came back to life and it runs like a champ again. Ok, maybe not the current champ, but an overweight and tired 1984 champ.

Just a suggestion and really easy to check for 12 and 14 volts at the back of the alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom