No High Beams! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched quite a bit on the site and read up on the famous dimmer switch problems. After checking out numerous old posts, I still can not figure out my problem. 1970 40, all stock wiring. I am leaning towards dimmer switch, but am going to ask for help. The regular beams work fine, punch the dimmer switch down.....No high beams or any light at all coming out the bulbs. Hit the dimmer switch again....regular lights work. Any thoughts?? Thanks for your time. I have replaced the bulbs, fuses, cleaned all connections and the fuse block.

Last edited:
Check the switch, you've eliminated everything else as even if the main part of the high beam wiring was shorting out the indicator would still come on.

My 78 had a burned high beam contact on the dipper lever switch.. Pulling it toward the steering wheel would make high beam work, but pushing it forward to the high beam position made the lights go out completely..

How does the dipper work on a '70 '40?

Floor mounted two pole foot switch, it's either set to low beam or high beam.

Does my 74 have low and high beams? I can only see one way to turn the lights on. No settings other than running lights and headlights on.

Thanks for all the replys everyone. If the dimmer switch looks like the culprit, then I will be taking it apart today and giving it a once over. I will keep you guys posted on whether or not it works.

the high beam indicator light in the instrument cluster should light up - it's really dim, so you might have to test this in the dark

I pulled the dimmer switch out, cleaned, scrubbed, lubed, and dielectric greased her. Worked like a charm. High and Low beams work great. Thanks everyone for the input. Im a new guy around here and probably shouldn't be starting a thread, but wanted to be sure before I did anything. Thanks.

Thanks for the update, happy that worked for you. Welcome to the forum :flipoff2: (official MUD welcome).

Brasco, yes all FJ40s have high and low beams. That function is controlled either through a floor mounted dimmer switch or by pushing the turn signal stalk forward. For a '74, I believe it is controlled through the turn signal stalk.

Sweet! Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom