No High Beams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings:

Looking for some guidance. When I activate the high beams either by pushing the stalk or pulling the stalk, I will get the dash light indicating that the high beams are on. However, they are not on and I am not getting voltage at the bulb socket. Since the dash light comes on, can I rule out the push/pull switch? If so, any suggestions of where to start looking?

Thanks,

Steve
94' 360,000 miles

you'll be looking for ground, not voltage, at the socket. power for both low beams and high beams is shared, so if your low beams are working you have power for the high beams as well. when your switch is pulled (or pushed) for the high beams, do you get good ground (0 volts) at the R-Y wire of the socket? You should be since the dash light is coming on. That leads my suspicion to a corroded connector, maybe at the socket, that is increasing the resistance in the circuit enough to prevent high current from illuminating the big lights, but enough low current to still illuminate the dash light
1674575548921.png

This is the common failure mode for the turn signal lights, below the headlights. I can't count how many I've had to repair using the field expedient method of stripping a gum wrapper of its paper and jamming the foil in the bottom of the socket, to please Johnny law.

IME, if you get the dash light indicating the high bems are on, the switch works, although it's the most common failure mode for the high beams.

Greetings:

Looking for some guidance. When I activate the high beams either by pushing the stalk or pulling the stalk, I will get the dash light indicating that the high beams are on. However, they are not on and I am not getting voltage at the bulb socket. Since the dash light comes on, can I rule out the push/pull switch? If so, any suggestions of where to start looking?

Thanks,

Steve
94' 360,000 miles
Have you recently installed any "new" specialty bulbs such as LED or HID? They are orientation specific and must have the proper connection.

Thanks for the replies! No specialty bulbs. I have had the Slee headlight harness for years. I cannot recall if the high beams are seperated from the low beams on that upgraded harness.

So I'm embarrassed to admit how many parts I've ordered at this point trying to find the switch.
Is the high beam switch located in that circular part that is the turn signal switch? The stalk is just that with wires coming out the end.

84306-28020.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom