no heat/coolant issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all... I've got almost no heat and I hear all the bubbles running through my heater core every time I rev the motor, so I know I've got air in the cooling system. I've tried elevating the front to burp the system but once the coolant gets even a little bit of temp in it, the coolant just pours out the radiator cap opening...
new aluminum radiator
new water pump/gasket/thermo
new radiator hoses

it doesn't overheat at all and the oil doesn't have coolant in it but I'm fearing an exhaust side fail on the headgasket.

Any thoughts?

A lazier way to burp it faster is to get another radiator cap and dismantle its spring loaded check valve so that coolant will freely flow to the overflow tank. Then run the engine.
The cooling system won't be pressurized, but the coolant won't boil after stopping the engine if you let the engine idle fast for a minute or so before shutting down.
Once the overflow tank no longer consumes coolant, replace the cap with the normal one to have a pressurized system.

Or just ignore it. The engine will eventually purge the bubbles into the radiator, but it can take days.

Last edited:
Or just ignore it. The engine will eventually purge the bubbles into the radiator, but it can take days.

I have learned this is the best way to do it. No matter how much burping you do they just never seem to get burped. Seems its the way of these anytime you do anything with the cooling system. Usually takes two full weeks of daily driving to level mine out and get the bubbles out. That's after multiple burping sessions. Not sure why its so difficult to get air out of the cooling system on these but its the one thing I dread about doing cooling system work on mine anymore.

I like the cap check valve idea proposed above though. But two weeks of driving does the trick as well. HTH.

The heater hoses are the highest part of the coolant system. If you loosen one of them, the excess air should be expunged from there. But leaviing the a few days always worked for me also, just rememeber to come back and check the levels.

I've dont daily drive it, but I've done a tank and a half of driving... but today I discovered a small leak. Probably spit out a tablespoon worth of coolant out of one of the lower coolant tubes after I parked. I'm sure that is not helping purge the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom