No headliner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody got a pic of the roof with no headliner installed? I'm thinking about yanking mine and spraying with Secondskin, Lizardskin, etc but I have no idea what it looks like under there.

I'm curious as well. I was looking to do some roof storage and add some insulation.

I have a thread when i ripped mine out (also so i could see steps for new install)
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/303954-headliner-replacement.html
and a pic from the thread:
DSC_9876.JPG

some good pics as i pulled mine out - worth a browse if you are thinking of pulling yours.

HTH - GL!

Awesome--exactly what I was wanting! Any big downside to ditching it? Seems kinda surprising that so many spend lots of time and money to replace theirs when the rest of the rig is pretty stripped.

Awesome--exactly what I was wanting! Any big downside to ditching it? Seems kinda surprising that so many spend lots of time and money to replace theirs when the rest of the rig is pretty stripped.

Mine is stripped out pending spray in deadener, and a new liner. Not leaving it out. Besides looks I think it will be too loud. I can snap a pic of it mostly stripped out including the jute. I'd at least do some sort of spray in headliner if you go this route... but that's just me.

GL!

Don't leave it out. Noise! When I rebuilt my diesel I was planning on leaving out as much as possible to make things more functional. Unfortunately all those things deaden noise so back in they went. Seems that their function was to preserve my hearing.

I did drive my diesel at first with no back seat or carpet and with everypart or section of carpet that got reinstalled the interior noise level dropped.

Just my two cents

Tony

a good rain storm already sounds like rocks in a soup can, can't imagine how loud it would be without the headliner

So do ya'll think it will be loud if I remove it?:grinpimp:

Do ya'll not think that spray on sound deadening(maybe the regular ole sheet stuff as well?) will be quiet enough?

I haven't had a liner in mine for years. I don't think its that loud, and I enjoy the sound of the rain.

So do ya'll think it will be loud if I remove it?:grinpimp:

Do ya'll not think that spray on sound deadening(maybe the regular ole sheet stuff as well?) will be quiet enough?

Mine is completely out and all the zute or whatever that stuff is, is gone as well. It's loud when it rains, not to mention super hot when it's sunny out. I'm planning on using the second skin stuff. I put damplifier on my FJ55 roof followed by spectrum from second skin. It's held up well so far. Put it in about six months ago. I'll probably just put spectrum in the 60 and save the damplifier for the floor.

No need, but thanks for the offer! I've got a good idea now on what it looks like; glad to hear others are running without one. Mine is rather dirty and has a couple of small holes and I'm shooting for basic and utilitarian with the rig so I figured the spray stuff would be perfect. How do you like the Secondskin?

Did you spray or brush it on? How is the texture? I'd like to do the entire inside(and underside really) with it or Lizardskin or something to that effect; normal bedliner seems to rough to clean easily. How tough is the Secondskin?

Did you spray or brush it on? How is the texture? I'd like to do the entire inside(and underside really) with it or Lizardskin or something to that effect; normal bedliner seems to rough to clean easily. How tough is the Secondskin?

The second skin stuff is soft, not so soft that you can pick it off, but it definitely doesn't feel like bedliner or paint. IDK if it would be wise to use it in place of a bedliner. If you could find a bed liner without the rubber bits, that would be best in my opinion. I brushed mine on and it doesn't level at all. The stuff is pretty thick, so if you want a smooth texture then I'd spray. The texture would be smooth, but I used a fat ass brush to put it on so there are plenty of texture lines. As for toughness, I don't think it'd hold up to any gouging the way that bedliner is meant to. I think the stuff was meant to be used on the interior like door panels, under carpeting etc (event though they do say you can use it on the outside)

Reviving a dead thread... I removed my crappy headliner and I’m going to do a interior light/ roof storage setup but I’d like to know what you guys recommend for getting the nasty adhesive off of the roof?

0D0455D2-4ABA-4426-A3D7-096BFD3ADB89.jpeg

0779D344-0018-4112-B335-50704F966371.jpeg

You could try acetone with good ventilation. I’m sure there are some adhesive removers in a spray can out there.

aresol decal remover may dissolve it enough to scrap off. mean stuff and would also recommend some type of of protection from fumes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom