No garage/covered space - irresponsible to buy a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For 40 years my 40 lived outside in the driveway. In that time it's gone from mostly stock to FI 350, NV4500, 4 wheel disc. brakes and a whole lot of other smaller changes without ever seeing the inside of a garage or storage. After buy a new place a couple of years ago it finally got climate controlled roof over its' head. Not sure which it preferred most but I do like being able to work on it when needed out of the elements. :)

A hidden kill switch is what I used to feel more comfortable with it parked in the driveway.

For extra security I've got a cable lock around the front cage and steering wheel. Also a fuel kill. Once the wiring is redone it'll have an electric kill.

That said, I know locals who've never fixed the door locks and just park it unlocked wherever they go.

I like to sleep well though. Insurance could never replace it and I could never rebuild it or pay someone to... therefore I use extra precautions.

Parking on the street? That seems like your asking for trouble. 40s are becoming pretty popular. I know I wouldn't park mine on the street for more than an hour or two. If its kept outside in a driveway off of the street sure no problem. Just going to the gas station it gets too much attention.

0A534D19-12FA-4E9D-9EAF-2FCB3E2E1EE7.jpg

This was a 100 dollar a month unit but I was in a high demand area, walking distance to white sand beaches in Destin Florida. You could probably get the same for 50-60 outside of high demand areas.
It really wasn’t bad to have to travel to see my cruiser and it forced me to be more tidy and watch my oil spills. It also made me dedicate time to working on it where the one in my garage gets put behind things like dishes or yard work.

Mine get wet a lot. But I try to drive them till bone dry as soon as possible. I think the pinch weld/flange rust grows like cancer if just placed under a tarp for long periods.

I think the climate in Charleston is mild enough that you shouldn't worry about parking it outside. But google tells me you guys get a lot of rain (much more than we get in Seattle even).

So if you're concerned about deterioration and don't have a place to work on it, I think it's important to buy a rig that is in really good shape to begin with.

If you buy a rig with rust and bad weather stripping, the rust will just keep getting worse. Having just dismantled my rig, I found a fair amount of rust behind the window rubber, which really only gets wet from rain (unlike the rear sill, which also accumulates mud which exacerbates rust). Similarly, I have a rust hole in the floor right beneath the passenger kick vent in the front, behind the bottom of the a-pillar support... which I can only assume was due to leaky kick vents. There's no place for moisture to drain out in that area near the base of the a-pillar. The bottoms of the front doors also tend to rust out due to rain- water hits the windows, rolls down inside the door, and drains out of holes at the bottom of the door. Over time, dirt and crud accumulate in there, which retains the moisture and makes the rust worse.

So my point is, if you buy a rig with all new weather stripping and rubber, that has had all rust properly repaired, and has been properly repainted, I wouldn't worry too much about deterioration. Even better would be to have a proper car cover (not just a tarp- you want it to be breathable). Not sure if you are talking about parking on the street though.

Thanks again to those that have shared feedback. I've received enough encouragement... will be asking for cover advice down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom