No fuel to FJ62 fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had my 1988 FJ62 at my farm sitting out for a couple years.... I drove it and parked it. I've been trying to get the thing started this week and no luck luck. I put fresh gas in it and charged the battery. I replaced vacuum lines and the engine turns over but it won't fire up. I loosened the banjo to my fuel pump and cranked it a few times but couldn't get fuel to come out. Does anyone have experience with this and some ideas? Thank you guys. You are always a huge help

Could be a lot of things. Simply cranking the engine itself doesn't turn the fuel pump on. The EFI relay, AFM, pump itself, etc. could all be suspect. The FSM has procedures for checking fuel system. I've had to replace a number of fuel pumps on EFI vehicles that have been sitting though..

May be a dead circuit opening relay. In the diagnostic port under the hood at the firewall, passenger side, use a jumper wire and connect the FP and B+ spots and the fuel pump may run and pressurize the fuel rail.

as stated above, it could be lots of things,
easiest way to bypass everything i to move the cargo carpet, open the fuel sender access door, underneath, you'll see the fuel pump connector, unplug it and run jumper leads from a 12 volt source and see if the pump runs and pumps gas, if not, you'll need to change the pump.
if it does pump gas, you'll need to find out what isn't working.
it could also be the connector in the quarter panel

Hi, Since it has sat for years I’d put an ounce of oil down each spark plug hole aand let it sit a week before starting. As stated check connection to pump. Fuel pump is in tank with sock filter depending on how old pump is it probably did not like sitting for years. I’m in Plano and own several of these pm me if you need more help. Mike

You guys are great Thank you very much... I'll let you know what happens

Did you jump 12v and ground to the pump? And yes always check fuses first. Start simple

Could be a lot of things. Simply cranking the engine itself doesn't turn the fuel pump on. The EFI relay, AFM, pump itself, etc. could all be suspect. The FSM has procedures for checking fuel system. I've had to replace a number of fuel pumps on EFI vehicles that have been sitting though..
Are these fuel pumps still readily available OEM from Toyota? Or aftermarket? I'm going to be diving into my cargo area anyways for some body work, sound/heat deadening, etc.. I might take a peek at the fuel pump and sender while I'm back there. Thanks..

If you've convinced yourself it's the pump, go for it. New Denso pumps are readily available. I got my last one from Cruiser Outfitters. @cruiseroutfit I had a scare on the road (when going through Utah) that turned out to be vapor lock, and they were kind enough to set me up with a pump in case, I keep it in the truck as a spare.

There is no access to the fuel pump through the cargo floor, only the sender. The PO of my truck hacked a hole back there though, which I discovered after dropping the tank to fix a leak 😒. I cleaned up the access hole that was made before, which let me change the pump in less than 30 minutes. Should have done it when I had the tank down originally..

If you've convinced yourself it's the pump, go for it. New Denso pumps are readily available. I got my last one from Cruiser Outfitters. @cruiseroutfit I had a scare on the road (when going through Utah) that turned out to be vapor lock, and they were kind enough to set me up with a pump in case, I keep it in the truck as a spare.

There is no access to the fuel pump through the cargo floor, only the sender. The PO of my truck hacked a hole back there though, which I discovered after dropping the tank to fix a leak 😒. I cleaned up the access hole that was made before, which let me change the pump in less than 30 minutes. Should have done it when I had the tank down originally..
I've seen some of these floor hacks... some look kind of rough. Any pics of yours? Wondering if it'd be worthwhile to do?? Just. In. Case.

I've seen some of these floor hacks... some look kind of rough. Any pics of yours? Wondering if it'd be worthwhile to do?? Just. In. Case.
I don't have pictures... I'm sure you could find something. Like anything else, if you take your time and think it out you could make it pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom