No fuel in sight glass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed my rebuilt carb,a new fuel pump, hoses and fuel filter and I'm not getting fuel into the carb sight glass. It will start and idel as long as you want but when I drive it for about 10 minutes it just dies. When I look at the carb there's no fuel in the sight glass. If you let it set for a while it will start back up and run. I managed to get it to run about two miles reaching 60 mph and then it just dies, like you turned the key off. Can anyone please tell me what to check?

Thanks

Most fuel filters are directional, been there done that. Soft fuel lines pinch often.

Check for obstructions in fuel flow - could be junk in your tank, pinched line, junk in lines, junk in fuel filter. Junk from tank/lines could make their way up into the rebuilt carb.

Check for a pinched line, check fuel filter and probably replace (they are cheap), blow out lines. How old is your tank?

betcha have gunk in the tank that settles with vaccum flow when engine is running.........seeps when engine is off so it starts o.k..

Hook up a line directly to carb, from a small jug of clean fuel. Hold up above carb and see if the level goes up above what it was before. Might be the fuel level is not set right and the floats are shutting off the fuel before the bowl is full enough. .02

I will recheck the fuel tank. This cruiser had been sitting for about 9 years when I found it. The first thing I did was take the tank out and clean it with a high pressure hose and let it dry for two weeks in the AZ sun, maybe I didn't get everything out of it.
I did notice when I blew out the fuel line between the filter and tank it ran great for short while. I did put some fresh gas in a jug and connected it to the fuel line from the tank and it ran fine. I was thinking the problem was in the carb but it sounds like it might be the tank?

Thanks for all the help.

You can take your gas tank to a radiator shop and have them clean it out real good. Warning...may clean it so well it starts leaking out pinhole rust spots. New OEM tanks were still available a few months ago...

I will recheck the fuel tank. This cruiser had been sitting for about 9 years when I found it. The first thing I did was take the tank out and clean it with a high pressure hose and let it dry for two weeks in the AZ sun, maybe I didn't get everything out of it.
I did notice when I blew out the fuel line between the filter and tank it ran great for short while. I did put some fresh gas in a jug and connected it to the fuel line from the tank and it ran fine. I was thinking the problem was in the carb but it sounds like it might be the tank?

Thanks for all the help.

Problem is probably coming from the tank or came from the tank in the form of various junk (rust, etc) that has been sucked into your fuel lines and possibly your carb. Check the fuel filter too.

I will check on a new one, that's the reason I didn't have it cleaned at a radiator shop, I was afraid it would eat through any thin spots.
I disconnected the fuel line at the carb and pumped gas into a clear bottle and the fuel good fine, nothing in it, I geuss there may be very small junk in it I can't see clogging the fuel filter.

If there is never fuel in the carb window...but your getting good flow after the pump...I would suspect the carb float is screwy. Or maybe the carb intake screen is plugged up?

That's what I don't understand, sometimes there is fuel in the sight glass, about halfway. Why would there be fuel in the sight glass sometimes and then when it quits and I raise the hood and look, there's no fuel in the glass.

Hi nohuri
Just read you old post. Hope you're still around and get this. I have a similar story as yours. Found my FJ which had been sitting for 10 years with minimal usage. Symptoms I have are identical to yours.
How does your story end? Was it the tank? I'm ready to remove mine and was curious.

My 69 sat from May 05 to November 13. God bless my brother-in-law. At least it was put up with a full tank. That had turned to mostly tar, but prevented interior rust formation. I pressure washed my tank, but the tank is baffled. Could only get the center. Three gallons lacquer thinner and 100 marbles (count your marbles and write down how many) duct tape over fuel sender, filler, and breather holes. Back of my pick up to rattle around for a month. Clean tank. Went through a couple filters to get all the debris I couldn't pour out. Still keep a spare filter but not needed it 3 months. Ensure tank is clean before you try to run on it. I pulled and cleaned tank before I ever tried to turn the key. I still had to clean carb, but I did not ruin a good cleaning with a bad tank.

Hi nohuri
Just read you old post. Hope you're still around and get this. I have a similar story as yours. Found my FJ which had been sitting for 10 years with minimal usage. Symptoms I have are identical to yours.
How does your story end? Was it the tank? I'm ready to remove mine and was curious.
Yes it was the gas tank. I called Dan and bought a new factory tank. I've never had anymore trouble.

Another thing that often happens when a vehicle sits that long is the diaphragm in the fuel pump dries out and cracks. That can cause the same symptoms. It will pump "some" fuel but not enough to run at high speed or under load. When the diaphragm leaks, the fuel goes down by the rod on the pump into the crankcase. That is VERY bad-ie can blow the engine. Since it's simple to test, I'd pull a soft line and check the pressure output of your fuel pump first.

Another thing that often happens when a vehicle sits that long is the diaphragm in the fuel pump dries out and cracks. That can cause the same symptoms. It will pump "some" fuel but not enough to run at high speed or under load. When the diaphragm leaks, the fuel goes down by the rod on the pump into the crankcase. That is VERY bad-ie can blow the engine. Since it's simple to test, I'd pull a soft line and check the pressure output of your fuel pump first.
This can be a very serious problem, for sure--verify the condition of the pump--smell the crankcase for gas

Another symptom of a small crack in fuel pump diaphragm is "growing oil". Increase in oil level on dipstick. Another cause of growing oil I have seen regularly in the boat business where engines sit during the off season is ring blow by. The rings seat against the pistons, instead of out against the cylinder wall.have seen this happen even when compression between cylinders was as close as 5psi. Fortunately this problem is effectively treated with chevron techron fuel additive. Double strength for one or two tanks. Sorry for hijack, but I thought may be relevant for a sitting motor.

Went back to the original problem you posted---Here's a scenario that may be germain--Many years ago, your "buddies" would play a prank and put a boiled egg in your fuel tank. That egg would float around till the fuel level got a little low, then would get sucked up onto the fuel suction pipe going to the carb--no fuel-engine dies. After a short while, the egg would float back off the suction so you could start it again, only to have the same thing happen a little later. Thoughts are that there may be trash in the tank causing similar symptoms.
my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom