no fuel getting to rail; pump works (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a guess here; is the engine block ground strap connected to the fire wall?

cam75 i don't have any rust issues, but i'm beginning to think the damper may be bad. i couldn't find anything about dampers in search, and i'm not sure exactly how it works (does anyone here know?). when the engine is cranked i can see a slight trickle of gas leaking out of the bottom of the damper. also there is a small phillips head screw on top of it; i had my father crank the engine while i tightened/loosened the screw to see if that had any effect... it did not. but somehow that f*****g damper is not allowing fuel to enter the rail.

frank i have not confirmed firing of the injectors. my reason being that there is still no fuel reaching the injectors. at this point i'm taking baby steps and hope to reach the injectors soon. upon installation i made doubly sure that all connections were tight and that they were gonna stay that way. also the harness looks good and solid.

morse i haven't confirmed the ground strap connection to the firewall, but i never removed it. i'll check it out though.

I'M PERPLEXED!!! i think i'm done for the night. there's a woman in the kitchen making me a crown and soda... thanks again all, and if anyone has more knowledge/experience about the fuel damper i'm all ears (eyes i guess)

Toyota supposedly installed this "damper" to absorb shock or drop in fuel pressure like an oil reservoir on a race car. If the oil pressure drops below a certain point then the reserve pressure contained in the reservoir starts to bleed off into the engine oil system to keep the internals happy. That celica I was telling you about,well, I couldn't find a replacement from the dealer so gutted the old one and welded it shut where the phillips screw was. The car ran fine it seemed after that. The owner didn't complain. I've shot myself in the foot before by putting the wrong banjo bolts in the wrong places. I built a 22re for my 80 Toyota truck and installed a fuel injection system off A celica on it and wasn't getting fuel pass the main fuel line to the rail. Apparently I installed a banjo bolt w/ no holes and it stopped the fuel flow. Once I figured it out the truck finally started.

cam75 i was able to find some info on the damper and it was basically the same as what you said. what stumped me earlier is that the damper has a hole running lengthwise down the bolt shaft, but no cross hole like a normal banjo bolt. apparently the damper washers are very important, in that they leave a tiny bit of open space for fuel to flow through. i'm kinda kickin my own ass right now because when i removed the damper i failed to notice what the washers looked like and replaced them with normal crush washers. so tomorrow i'm gonna be on the hunt for these 2 elusive washers. will post results....

damn i said washers like 50 times. haha......... washers

Last edited:
The link below should cover most of your questions
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h22.pdf

fuel_sys.JPG

yotato thanks for the input. i did check the relay earlier and it tested out fine.

frank i'm right with you on that schematic. perfectly describes my system of checks. i've checked everything up to the damper and am stuck there so far, hopefully that will change tomorrow.

cam75 do you remember what the washers looked like and where they went on that celica? i just got back from the dealership with the gaskets they said i need. but i'm confused because the gasket they said goes on top would make more sense on the bottom and vice versa. i'd hate to put it together backwards; it's a real PITA task...

it was the fuel damper

alright i was finally able to figure it out. luckily the fuel damper on my supra was super easy to remove, so i took it off and noticed that you can blow right through it. the damper from my truck had somehow seized shut while i was replacing the injectors :eek: :mad: ; thus allowing no fuel to enter the rail. no local dealers had the part, but i was able to find one at pep boys. i thought i was in the clear at that point; i was gonna get home, bolt it on, and the truck would fire right up.... NOPE!!! the piece of s**t brand new part had a crack in it! thanks pep boys for selling such high quality parts to the driving public. after that i was able to finagle the old damper open with some penetrating oil and a very small nail. long story short; the truck is back in action for now, and i've got an oem damper on the way from the man cdan. :D :D .

thanks again for everyone's insight, you guys rock. :cheers:

:grinpimp: :beer: Yeah!!! Glad to hear you got it.

Success!!

:cheers: Glad you got it going!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom