No Fuel coming through line - fuel pressure issue, fuel pump, or ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi friends! New to the IH8Mud forum, and FJ's in general.

Long story short, picked up an FJ62 from a family friend that has been sitting in a yard for years (in NM, no rust). Ran when parked. Couldn't pass it up, so now I own an FJ!

Drained gas tank, swapped fuel filter (fuel was in the line when swapped), replaced spark plugs, fogged the cylinders, changed the oil and oil filter, installed fresh battery. Added one gallon of gas back in - worried I may have sucked up a bunch of debris from only adding one gallon back? Truck turns and tries to start - will start and run briefly with starting fluid sprayed through the air intake.

Pulled fuel line just before filter and tried to start - no fuel coming through the line. Tried to listen for fuel pump working - can't hear it. Traced the line back from the filter to the tank, could not find leaks. I am thinking fuel pump, but what else should I be looking for? Is there a way to test if the pump is getting electric before I drop the tank? I tried the paperclip short but wasn't 100% sure what I was doing - it did nothing. Anyone have ideas other than swap the fuel pump? I already have the pump on the way.

Blow some air through the tank to the pump with the line disconnected. Get air? Check pump. No air? Clean line. Is the line clear between the pump and carb?

Welcome. We need pictures!

IMO, if it's been sitting for years, dropping the tank and carefully checking everything inside for rust, dirt, mechanical failure, etc. is a good idea no matter what. I would plug in your new pump (outside the tank) and see that it spins before installing it all back into the truck. Yes, it's a pain, but it will provide mental relief and that warm feeling of 'one more thing you have checked and understand'.

Awesome advice! Planning on dropping the tank this weekend. Will pull the line blow it - just use an air compressor?

Will also inspect the tank, and check the pump that it spins before installing.

Definitely okay with going through things the long way for learning purposes and doing things the right way.

Will possibly consider getting some photos and posting a build thread, however, this will be a pretty drawn out project.

There’s an access panel in the cargo area. It gives you access to the fuel gauge sending unit and the connector for the fuel pump is there. You can check for 12v at the connector with a jumper between +B and FP of check connector and key on. If there’s power, it’s probably the fuel pump. I just recently went through this with one that had sat for years and had to put in a new pump.

if the pump is not running, try 1 thing first, remove the jack mount in the driver rear quarter panel.
look way down inside and there is a 4 wire connector, the fuel pump and fuel guage run thru that connector.
it has been known to corrode, I end up removing the connector and splicing the wires together.

@mwebfj60 found that panel and opened it - I will see if I can get a multi meter on the connection with the jumper in place. Is that the best way to test?

@3_puppies - will try that too. Got any beta for me on the jack mount location? I always thought that was an aftermarket thing. Will look for it on the rear quarter panel.

@morganism - how do you check the relay? multimeter? or swap?

Hi, When you drop the tank if the suspension is sitting really low you may have to jack up the bumper some to get the tank out . My bet is the filter on the pump is rotted or clogged beyond use. Mike

Once you get all of this worked out. Check and see if the gas tank recall has been done on that 62. Mr. Yoda is still honoring the recall. Last thing, pictures or all of this is for naught.

If it said “none open”, it’s safe to assume it’s been done.

Last edited:
Hi All. Thanks for the help.

Pulled the tank, purchased and installed new pump, reinstalled. Car started right up afterward - huge success!

Let the truck run for a bit, it came up to temp, just about all electronics were working. Actually seems to idle nicely. Doesn't overheat (at least on idle for about 20 mins anyway).

As soon as I begin to rev the truck up, it will rev to about 1500 - 200 RPMs and then choke out and die. Tried to put it in gear but as soon as you put your foot down a bit it will start to rev up and then sputter out. Will probably start a new thread for that issue. On to the next problem!

Thank you for all the help! Looking forward to getting this truck back on the road!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom