No front axle engagement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Vehicle on jack stands wheels off. Front drive shaft turns but engaging hubs won't lock the axles. Took hubs a part they look and actuate fine. Just doesnt engage Any one help out. Please

With the covers off the freehubs, turn the prop shaft and check that each axle turns, you need to hold one side still to see the other side turn, so best to get two friends over to help!

With the wheels on the ground, transfer case in 2wd:

with none or one hub locked, you should be able to turn the drive shaft by hand

With two hubs locked you should not be able to turn the drive shaft (once the hubs engage--takes about 1/4 turn of shaft).

If this doesn't happen, then either one or both hubs is not locking or one or both front axles are broken, or something is terribly wrong with the differential.

The stock front differential is open. The axles won't "lock" together unless you have a locking differential. The manual hubs serve only to connect the wheel on each side to it's respective axle shaft. If you have both wheels off the ground and are the drive shaft and expect to see the both wheels spin in the same direction, that won't necessarily happen with an open differential.

Neither wheel has power to it with engaged hubs. I drive this daily 75 miles and only issue is no front power to either wheel I guess I have to pull Diff apart. To see what is going on.

image-2253885170.jpg

6.2 diesel. Ranger with toy 4 speed. 1983

image-2253885170.jpg

Neither wheel has power to it with engaged hubs. I drive this daily 75 miles and only issue is no front power to either wheel I guess I have to pull Diff apart. To see what is going on.

No need to get into the diff just yet, as its a pain in the ass.
first find out which shaft is not turning, probably will be a broken drive shaft where it enters the Birfield.

Last edited:
If you have an issue with the diff, then you would hear a LOT of noise while turning that driveshaft. like everyone said, turn the driveshaft and look at the birf with the hub off. You will need another person on the other wheel to inspect that side at the same time.

Locking hubs won't work right unless they're assembled exactly perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom