No FF Rear Axle Info In my 1993 FSM??? (need torque spec) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

I am finally getting around to replacing the small studs on the rear axle assembly that i bent when removing the axle shafts to install my e locker.

These are the 6 studs that hold the axle shaft into the assembly.

I got a 93 FZJ80 and i have the FSM right here but it only give info on the SEMI float rear end and no mention of the FULL float. I know that the full float only came with rigs with ABS, but i thought that was a majority of them?

Its kinda weird, they BRAKE section has info for both SEMI and FULL floating brakes (disc and drum) but i cant find any info on these studs.

Anyone have a later FSM that might give these torque specs? I am looking for the torque spec on the nut that holds the axle shaft in place via the centering cone washers.

Thanks
Kevin

Boston Mangler said:
Hey Guys

I am finally getting around to replacing the small studs on the rear axle assembly that i bent when removing the axle shafts to install my e locker.

These are the 6 studs that hold the axle shaft into the assembly.

I got a 93 FZJ80 and i have the FSM right here but it only give info on the SEMI float rear end and no mention of the FULL float. I know that the full float only came with rigs with ABS, but i thought that was a majority of them?

Its kinda weird, they BRAKE section has info for both SEMI and FULL floating brakes (disc and drum) but i cant find any info on these studs.

Anyone have a later FSM that might give these torque specs? I am looking for the torque spec on the nut that holds the axle shaft in place via the centering cone washers.

Thanks
Kevin

According to Toyota Tech info., the torque is 24 ft/lbs. for a full floater.

And I assume you are taking about the 6 nuts with the 6 cone washers?

Best.
-onur

34 ftlb is way too much, if that is what is written then it is a mistake. They are the same size as the front ones, so the torque specs are 18ftlb for them. I do not have a manual in front of me, but that is the spec I have been using for many years on this size of stud for the FF cone washer(remember the front is also a FF type of axle). I personally would not use that high of torque spec on so little of a stud. later robbie

powderpig said:
34 ftlb is way too much, if that is what is written then it is a mistake. They are the same size as the front ones, so the torque specs are 18ftlb for them. I do not have a manual in front of me, but that is the spec I have been using for many years on this size of stud for the FF cone washer(remember the front is also a FF type of axle). I personally would not use that high of torque spec on so little of a stud. later robbie

I misread it Robbie. Just changed it to 24 Ft/lb's per 97 FSM.

Sorry....
-o-

Thanks Guys

I will use 24 ft/lb and assume they are the same from 93 to 97

Does anyone have a 93 FSM that has this info and i am just missing it, or is there a supplement manual or something?

Thanks for the help guys!

beno said:
And I assume you are taking about the 6 nuts with the 6 cone washers?

Yes, that is correct!

medtro said:
25 ft lb according to 94 FSM

Great

Thanks

Curious, what section/page is that on?

The 93 manual omits a lot of stuff, ABS, FFA, diff lock equipped diffs and some other bits. That is why I recommend that 93 owners get a 94 manual.

cruiserdan said:
The 93 manual omits a lot of stuff, ABS, FFA, diff lock equipped diffs and some other bits. That is why I recommend that 93 owners get a 94 manual.

Damn! Wish i new that when i bought my rig. Oops!

Thanks for the info guys, i just replaced 10 of the studs!

Also, one of the studs broke when replacing them. I bent some of the studs removing those stupid cone washers the first time when installing my locker, so i decided to replace all 12 since i was in there. Take a guess which one broke? Sure enough, the second to last stud of the day, #11. #12 wouldnt budge so i just left it alone and put a new nut on it!

I am going to try to get it out and replace it of course, but i have a 500 mile trip coming up real soon that i was going to take the truck on. Does anyone see a problem on driving with 5 of them? Of course, 6 is best, but i might not be able to get it out in time! This isnt a job i want to try myself, so i am going to try to have a friend or pro do it.

The thing broke like butter, here is a pic:

IMG_0037.JPG

I had user induced trouble with those studs also (never grease them) they come right out with vice grips. You will have to remove the axle shaft to get vice grips on them. if you greased the seal on assemble then it should be reusable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom