No Diff lock/ABS lights in Low? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was 4 wheeling in a local trail for the first time owning the LC. I put it the transfer case in LOW. I didn't see the ABS nor the Center diff lock light on the dash. Is this normal?

I did hear the ecu turn on and felt the diff lock up. At least it felt like it locked.

Then after I was off the trail I tried to put it back on LOW again and turned in a circle at a local shopping center. The front and rear wheels CHIRPED and felt like it was locked with a back and forth motion, but still no light.

It is a 96 without a center diff lock switch. I know for sure that the previous owner never put it in low, since she was my cousin.

Are the lights supposed to show up?

yes, they should both come on. I would find it pretty odd both the abs and cdl lights both to be burnt out seeing they dont get much use (not like the drive light).

So does anyone think that the bulbs are blown? or is there something wrong with my center diff ECU/solonoid?

Do u think everything is okay?

Step 1) Don't drive in low range on cement. Makes your truck very unhappy:mad:
Step 2) Find a gravel parking lot or similar. Try engaging then disengaging low a couple of times. Also try putting it in reverse
while in low. Back up a little.

Step 3) Search this forum for "lockers won't engage"

My LC was the same when I got it. Niether of the lights came on and therefore the lockers didn't work. I searched, followed the advice and got them working. The best tip was the reverse thing.
The actuators get a little sticky if not used.

Start here before diassembling anything ;)

I was having that problem as well, although on trails I had the light working for some time, then the lights went off the last time I was out. I got a CDL switch and put it in the dash, problem solved, and I can lock it in high range if need be... might be a good mod for you...

cheers,

Joel

Thanks for the response. I LOVE THE SEARCH.

I tried the reverse thing when I was on the trail and still no lights. Does that mean that my LC's center diff was not locked?

I did a circle in the gravel too, well half circle, and still it felt like the center diff locker was engaged.

I've owned a rig(1985 4runner) with a detroit in it, and it felt like that with all 4 wheels. Stiffer to turn with the Low engaged compared to the HIGH.

Slee - Fixing a Center Diff Lock Indicator (Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser) Try this first. I had the same problem. Sounds like the Tcase Switch has gone out. Go underneith pull the plug and run some jumpers. Have someone in the car let you know if the ABS and Center Diff light come on. If they do you need to go get a new switch from Mr. T...around 90 bucks.

Also do this while you are at it. Slee - Pin 7 Mod for CDL (Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser)
Once you have the part you can do both in under 30 minutes.

I did the jumper technic. THANKS YOU SEARCH.

Just replaced the 4wd low sensor. No light untill jumped.

So what I read... SENSOR PROBLEm.. also thanks addicted!

Center diff-lock light on low now.

If you don't mind me asking..... What are the advantages of having the diff lock switch? I know you get it locked in high. But when would you use it for high? Sand? disabling the ABS while on trails on high? WOuldn't you want ABS when going downhill on a trail. Is the ABS more of a hazard while your offroad?

Low is where u wanna do the locking, right?

Why would you lock the center locker on firetrails?

Interested in thoughts on the above post as well. My ABS and center diff lock light seem to come on and work intermittently. Worked fine on my test drive, worked fine when I first shifted to low range after 5 hrs on the highway, but did not work a couple hrs later while driving on the sand. On the way back up the beach all of the sudden the lights came on and I was able to activate the lockers. Does the 7pin mod allow engagement of the lockers when in high range then as well?

Hi,
I just bought my first LC 80 series 1996 model.
I am not aware of a lot of its issues and functions etc. I was testing its 4WD system today and when I put the car in Low 4WD gear the Diff lock and ABS light both turned on. Is it normal for the ABS light to stay on when the vehicle is in Low 4WD gear? Is that not an indicator that the ABS is not working?

Thank you.

That is completely normal operation. When the ABS light is illuminated it does indicate that ABS is disabled. The low range/center diff locked ABS is not desired in low speed "off road" situations. One caveat you may have not discovered is that once that ABS is disabled and the vehicle exceeds 33 MPH the ABS will remain disabled even if you shift back into high range. That behavior will reset when the ignition is turned off. This is true for North American versions which may be different for models sold in your country.

That is completely normal operation. When the ABS light is illuminated it does indicate that ABS is disabled. The low range/center diff locked ABS is not desired in low speed "off road" situations. One caveat you may have not discovered is that once that ABS is disabled and the vehicle exceeds 33 MPH the ABS will remain disabled even if you shift back into high range. That behavior will reset when the ignition is turned off. This is true for North American versions which may be different for models sold in your country.

Thank you so much for the reply and for sharing this information with me.

I had one other question, that the vehicle goes/pulls to the left when the brake is applied.
I got all the break services done. Brake bleed and then changed the brake oil. Got axel oil and seals changed and the ABS sensors serviced. The alignment was also done but the vehicle still always goes a little to the left in normal driving and pulls a lot to the left when the break is applied.

Any idea what could be the issue?

There are several possibilities. It could be related to the crown of the road. Tall/wide tires, uneven tire pressure or unevenly worn tires can magnify that issue. Pulling to the left may indicate a problem with the right side brakes. Could be a frozen caliper, binding of the brake pads or retaining pins. Not knowing the mileage on your vehicle it could be worn suspension components like springs, shocks or bushings.

The Land Cruiser with its large size/weight and solid axles is going to handle much different from smaller passenger cars with independent suspension.

Provide more details on your vehicle such as miles, tire size, any lift, weight, aftermarket accessories etc.

My rig pulled to the left on braking and I couldn't find the cause. I ended up torquing the front left wheel bearing (it was loose) and that solved my issue. It might be worth double checking torque on both front wheel bearings.

OP or anyone else ever solve this? I rarely engage the lockers, but the other day, was on some dirt to exercise the diffs.
  • Put it in low, but the center diff + ABS lights didn't come on
  • So the front and rear lockers would just constantly blink
Last I tired this was well over a year ago. Danke!

Your actuator is probably sticking from lack of use. Happens a lot to vehicles that aren't regularly shifted into low range. My first two 80 series both had this issue (they were previously soccer mom cars).

Your actuator is probably sticking from lack of use. Happens a lot to vehicles that aren't regularly shifted into low range. My first two 80 series both had this issue (they were previously soccer mom cars).
I put the car to "on" and shifted the lever to 4Lo and could hear something whirring with a light click which I'm presuming is the center diff lock actuator doing its thing.

But still no ABS and diff lock light on the dash when shifting to 4Lo which is what I recall happens instantly when doing so. I'm not clear on what the OP actually chased after to get this resolved so will be dropping off at shop tomorrow for further inspection. Thx dude!

In case this helps, here's the list of TC switches:

84222-12010Transfer case diff lock indicator switch (qty 2)
84222-60081Transfer case indicator switch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom