No Cruise, NO HORN, and NO Rear wiper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 LX 450, 119,000 miles. Everything worked up until 3 months ago. First the cruise control died, next the horn, and last week the rear wiper. First it does leak inside when taken through car wash. Suspect bad seal on sun roof. Next I pulled the wiper apart and found that if I ground it to the chassis with separate wire it works fine. Pulled the airbag off and cannot figure out what makes the connection with the horn is pushed? there is a connector that is not connected to anything. Horns work fine when plugged directly to a 12V source, no voltage getting to the power wire when horn is pushed. Suspect a ground?

Do you have the wiring manual? You are going to need it.

I have the Toyota Repair manual, but cannot find a good wiring diagram. Where do I get a good one?

Found a Wiring Diagram, will chase the ground tomorrow for the rear windshield wiper. Also noticed that the front windshield washer comes on when the rear washer is pushed??? I have some wiring gremlins. Truck runs great!

Found a Wiring Diagram, will chase the ground tomorrow for the rear windshield wiper. Also noticed that the front windshield washer comes on when the rear washer is pushed??? I have some wiring gremlins. Truck runs great!
All of your concerns are items that are on the column. Might look into the wiring there.

Also the front washer coming on when rear is activated isnt an issue with your gremlins. I forget the part that goes bad, but it's a solenoid or valve that fails causing both to spray.

Edit, it's the diverter valve Windshield washer diverter valve - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/windshield-washer-diverter-valve.974108/

Last edited:
Does it have an Air bag? If it does there is a good chance your clockspring is broken internally.

I actually considered the clockspring. When took the steering wheel apart yesterday to check the horn, It looked loose to me. It does have an airbag and after I put the airbag bag in I did get a dash light indicating an air bag issue? There is only ONE connector to the airbag so you would think it would be hard to screw up? Looks like I need to pull the steering wheel and inspect the clock spring. I think I may even have a puller somewhere in the box.

If you don't have a puller, sometimes they come off if you pull up and a helper taps the center shaft with a hammer. Never tried this on the cruiser. It works for other cars though.

I actually considered the clockspring. When took the steering wheel apart yesterday to check the horn, It looked loose to me. It does have an airbag and after I put the airbag bag in I did get a dash light indicating an air bag issue? There is only ONE connector to the airbag so you would think it would be hard to screw up? Looks like I need to pull the steering wheel and inspect the clock spring. I think I may even have a puller somewhere in the box.
The airbag light is from the airbag ecu saying that at some point the airbag was disconnected. It will persist until you perform the airbag trouble code clear procedure. This is proper operation of the system, meaning itself does not indicate an issue with the clock spring.

Couple of key points the OP mentioned from above is that the rear wiper motor and horns worked when removed from the body harnesses. Bad grounds, shorts??

Maybe @jonheld will chime in.

The airbag light is from the airbag ecu saying that at some point the airbag was disconnected. It will persist until you perform the airbag trouble code clear procedure. This is proper operation of the system, meaning itself does not indicate an issue with the clock spring.
Is the clearing procedure published? I still have a hard time with the search function of this site

Couple of key points the OP mentioned from above is that the rear wiper motor and horns worked when removed from the body harnesses. Bad grounds, shorts??

Maybe @jonheld will chime in.
Just check the ground on the drivers side kick board. It is good, no signs of corrosion or other issues. Also the front wipers work fine as does the windshield washer motor. Both go through the same stalk as the rear wiper. Cruise control lights up fine, but on road when engaging it blinks 3 times and goes out. I have done the diagnostic many times, no go. I took the truck to the Lexus dealer to fix the cruise control as I like having it on highway. They said it was the brake switch and replaced it. I had checked it before and it appeared fine. After a couple of weeks they gave up and just charged me 100 bucks for the initial diagnostic.

That cruise blinking and going out could be a taillight issue. Check those bulbs and it may be an LED bulb related issue too. I had it once.

Is the clearing procedure published? I still have a hard time with the search function of this site
It is in the fsm, SRS section

I would start by seeing if you’re getting 12v pos at the harness with a multimeter with the wiper on. Then check the terminals in the connector under the steering column to see there is continuity when the rear wiper function is closed, according to the ewd.

It is in the fsm, SRS section

I would start by seeing if you’re getting 12v pos at the harness with a multimeter with the wiper on. Then check the terminals in the connector under the steering column to see there is continuity when the rear wiper function is closed, according to the ewd.
Will do, I know I have 12 Volts at the windshield wiper in the rear. It must be a ground issue back there. I have an EWD now and need to figure which pin is ground.

WHAT IS THE AIR BAG LIGHT TROUBLE CODE CLEAR PROCEDURE??

Here's also a previous thread on the subject:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom