No cooling system pressure 97 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to the mountains the other day to return my buddies 6x12 trailer. Its a 1000 lbs maximum, probably less. When I got to my destination I shut my truck off as normal. I was watching my temp on a scan gauge and it was at 203 most of the time but went to 211 at the last small climb. No big deal.

After the truck sat for a few minutes I noticed a coolant smell and the overflow tank was bubbling over. I turned the truck back on and the scan gauge showed 225 for a second but went to 218 and then back down to 200 and finally settled to 183 or so. I felt the radiator hose and it had no pressure. I shut it off and it sucked the coolant back into the system from the overflow tank. I opened the cap and the radiator was full. I added 12 oz of water to the overflow tank to make up what was blown out.

I drove the truck after monitoring the levels and the rest of the day it was at 178-198. Depending on the grade I was driving. I checked several times to make sure the level was full and I was not reading air or steam temperature.

Tests performed:

Pressure tested the cooling system to 17 psi and it did drop about 3 psi over about 5 minutes, no leak noticed but it was dark outside. Paid extra close attention to the PHH and rear heater / hoses. none found.

Some condensate was coming from the exhaust but no abnormal smells and its colder outside about 56 deg F. Plus my truck sits alot 10k miles in about 6 years. So condensate does not shock me.

Replaced radiator rap with OEM

Put truck on ramp and a sloped driveway to try and burp the system. Loosened heater hose with heater valve open and engine off, straight coolant. Ran truck for 45 mins at 1500 rpms with a coolant funnel and saw no air. / no bubbles indicating exhaust pressure. max temperature reached was 183 even with blocking half the ac condenser off to limit airflow. both heaters on and running, then heaters off but left heater valve open.

Verified heater valve operating

Tested radiator cap with coolant pressure tester.

Fan clutch was locking up as needed.

Oil looks good no milkshake

No bubbles in coolant while revving the engine

Past Work Done-

Head gasket was replaced by a shop in durango before I bought the truck. All OEM parts, hoses, machine work etc. 229k miles / 2012

Changed old radiator due to turning brown because of age. Used Toyota new upper / lower hoses and red coolant, verified I had a good 50/50 mix with distilled water OCT 2019

New OEM radiator cap - 258,300 miles - today May 2020

Installed used transmission 258k April 2020

Thoughts / Questions:

I don't believe a stuck thermostat can cause low pressure unless the temp stays very low. Correct?

Water pump seems to be working but maybe the impeller is worn and causing a lack in flow. However, I would expect to see higher temperatures if that was the case.

It obviously boiled over because it was not pressurizing. That does not concern me very much.

Thought maybe the system has air because of the radiator replacement. I didn't drive the truck much before the transmission failed.

Wheres my pressure?

Say head gasket, and I'm going to the V8 swap thread.

IMG_20200512_191819.jpg

Guess I didn't look at the phh close enough.. daylight helped.

IMG_20200513_075928.jpg

Replaced the PHH.

Not sure why this hose has such a bad rep. Took an hour to replace. I could've cut the piece a little shorter than I did but it looks ok. Even if it lasts 30k that's about 18 years for me.

IMG_20200513_120829.jpg

I bought this vacuum coolant refill tool that is amazing. No more messing with burping the system!

It requires an air compressor but those are cheap and everyone should have one.

I put it under a 12" hg vacuum and let it sit. If there is a leak it will obviously lose vacuum. Once you confirm that's all good you just hook up the fill hose that goes in your bucket of coolant and then you slowly fill the system. Boom done!

Bye bye PHH!

51ZimAtDf8L._AC_SY400_.jpg

IMG_20200513_123924.jpg

I ziptied the hose to a screwdriver because it's so new.

I have the valve cracked and it's sucking in. I just put this coolant in a few hundred miles ago. Otherwise I'd put new in.

IMG_20200513_130121.jpg

IMG_20200513_130337.jpg

IMG_20200513_130348.jpg

Head gasket
I was hoping..

After I replaced the PHH I still had no pressure.

I did compression checks and a bunch of other useless stuff.

Turns out I just needed to bend the tabs on the radiator cap so it sealed better.

Hahahaha:doh::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I was hoping..

Turns out I just needed to bend the tabs on the radiator cap so it sealed better.

Wow. OEM for the lose.

I was hoping..

Wow!

I was getting the gurgling/boiling, so first thing I did was replace the radiator cap. That stopped it, but then it sprung a leak at the thermostat housing. Replaced that with a new Toyota one and gasket. Then sprung a leak at the water pump. Replaced that with Aisin water pump. No leaks but still getting the gurgling/boiling. So I replaced the fan clutch with Aisin thinking maybe its just getting hot. Still getting bubbling sometimes but not always. No leaks anywhere. I had thought it still had air in the system and so Ive been trying to burp it for a couple weeks now. Its been driving me mad!

But something in the back of my mind has been nagging me about the radiator cap. But I keep coming back to "its new, and its Toyota, so..."

Im gonna bend those tabs.

Well, now Im wondering if my coolant to water ratio is off, that I have too much water in there, so the boiling point isn't as high as it should be and that's why its prone to boiling over after shutdown.

After opening up the system two different times, when I refilled, I didn't pay real close attention the ratio I was refilling with.

So considering that if the ratio was all water that it would theoretically boil easier, could it be that the only issue is I have too much water in there and not enough coolant?

Well, now Im wondering if my coolant to water ratio is off, that I have too much water in there, so the boiling point isn't as high as it should be and that's why its prone to boiling over after shutdown.

After opening up the system two different times, when I refilled, I didn't pay real close attention the ratio I was refilling with.

So considering that if the ratio was all water that it would theoretically boil easier, could it be that the only issue is I have too much water in there and not enough coolant?
In Florida I ran mostly water because I was not worried about freezing. Water pulls more heat than antifreeze too.

If it's bubbling then it's probably not pressurizing. With no pressure it will boil at 212 or sooner.

Mine was getting to 202 after a 95 mph trip down a road in Mexico.. when I shut it off you would hear it start to boil.

I'd suggest you check your cap tabs and also check for leaks.

You can buy a simple tester at the auto parts store for like 10 bucks. You will be able to see the coolant to water ratio.

Yeah my radiator is not factory and I don't think its a Toyota rad so the base of the OEM cap may not be seating correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom