no clutch feel at all this morning.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:hillbilly:there is no pressure whatsoever in the clutch pedal

i checked the clutch master cylinder reservoir, and fluid waz empty, refilled it, pumped the pedal a few times, still the clutch pedal is pressureless and dead.

any pointers on how to tackle this problem......

:popcorn::eek::idea::beer:

clutch

Same thing happened to me in August. When I looked around my clutch master, there was fluid around the master as well as inside on the floorboard. I filled it up w/fluid but to no avail. Since Big Red is my daily driver i had to fix it fast. I got a master at napa and bench bled it, installed it and, bled the system and was on my way. Most people recommend a new slave but I am perpetually broke and only replace what I can afford. Good luck

replace both the master and the slave.
if you just do the leaker now, the other will go at just about the worse possible time.
take the oppertunity to learn to drive with no clutch, you just may have to one day.

I woke up to this one morning just after my new clutch was installed... I have the Master / Slave Cylinder sitting here for when i can fit them.

Brian: How do you mean drive with no clutch ? - I'm really interested to know ?

Dan

I woke up to this one morning just after my new clutch was installed... I have the Master / Slave Cylinder sitting here for when i can fit them.

Brian: How do you mean drive with no clutch ? - I'm really interested to know ?

Dan

easy: start the truck in gear and then rpm match through the gears. I very rarely use the clutch one Im moving. A lot of tuckers don't use the clutch eiether to save on clutch disc too.

easy: start the truck in gear and then rpm match through the gears. I very rarely use the clutch one Im moving. A lot of tuckers don't use the clutch eiether to save on clutch disc too.

it's just that easy. there's nothing to in practise.

but way harder to explain how to.

Driving w/no clutch

When mine went out I drove it home by starting it in gear. However, I didn't shift because I didn't know how. I'm still confused as to how.

I'm not sure I can actually explain it... You just have to practice. The one thing to remember is to not shift "fast". Its an old truck, so if you keep that in mind when you shift, you'll get it much quicker. you essentially just take your foot off the gas and as you hear the rpm's start to drop, slip it into the next gear. you can do the same thing when downshifting by feathering the gas and slipping into the next lower gear...

practice makes perfect, so go have fun. You will probably grind a few times at fiirst; don't freak out.

when preformed correctly, it's just like a slow shift with the clutch..
no banging, no clunking, no grinding, it just slips right in. if you miss, you'll just gring a gear...no big deal.
ease off the gas and with light steady pressure just ''guide'' it in to the next gear.
when the clutch pedal is working, start with the 3rd to 4th shift. then work down.

must be an east tx thing zulu. i grew up in elkhart just outside of palestine and used to drive my old mustang the same way. that was 20 yrs ago and i haven't driven the fj that way but could have used that technique when my clutch went out last year. unfortunately i was never able to get it into 1st while sitting still.

I pulled a trailer behind my 60 with no clutch. Shut the engine at red lights, start in gear and shift around 2200 rpm (but it depends on tire size) you just have to learn to feel when you have matched the engine RPM to the tranny RPM and then shift.

X3 do both the Master & Slave and do the flex line too if it looks even slightly questionable.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Down shifting is a little more challenging without a clutch. When you are going up in gears it's not all that difficult especially the higher the gear. It just takes practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom