No check engine light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One other think I woke up thinking about in the middle of the night was when I was first checking my truck over I noticed the overhead dome lights didn’t work. I don’t know if that is the bulbs or not but I see it is one of the checks for fusible link. Do you happen to know if that is the link that will also kill the CEL? I ordered the link it will be here tomorrow am. I am also going to go unplug the AFM this morning. Jon am I correct in understanding that if I unplug AFM CEL should come back if the AFM is the issue? Thanks and happy Friday
SOABBBB. Man I just went and unplugged the AFM and sure enough the CEL came back. What are my options now to get one of those. Damn it I could shoot myself for messing with that. Can I drive it at all without that if I get it running? Fun side note look at the distributer attached

IMG_4438.jpeg

SOABBBB. Man I just went and unplugged the AFM and sure enough the CEL came back. What are my options now to get one of those. Damn it I could shoot myself for messing with that. Can I drive it at all without that if I get it running? Fun side note look at the distributer attached

View attachment 3392435
There's a lot of oxidation in there, but nothing that is a deal killer.

Obviously this has sat for a while and had a lot of condensation.

You can spray WD40 in there to help with that.

Make sure the contact points UNDER the rotor are clean (emery cloth or plastic pad). Make sure that the tip of the rotor is clean and shiny as well as the contact points on the inside of the distributor cap. In other words, remove the oxidation on those points.

You're going to need to either repair the AFM you have There is a service here that can rebuild I believe (about $600), but you'll need to search for VAF / AFM / MAF rebuilder in this section.

There's not really a clean alternative and these are rare to get.

Contact @slow95z and @arcteryx to see if either of them have one for this year and engine.

If it's a 93/94 then good luck finding a vfm. I don't have any for sale. Those things are crazy hard to find.

If it's a 93/94 then good luck finding a vfm. I don't have any for sale. Those things are crazy hard to find.
It's a 1991.

@slimdusty ^^^^ Look up and send him a PM.
Update the dude opened the AFM and found where I bent it. He bent it back. He also adjusted the timing with new distributer because it was all the way and kind running rough. As of right now it’s running like a beast. We are letting it run and gonna drive it etc, but I think he might have got it.

Can I drive it at all without that if I get it running?
Short answer, maybe, but not a good idea.
Long answer, the AFM fires the fuel pump, but that logic can be bypassed. However the ECU will have no idea how to regulate fuel delivery because it won't know how much air is being drawn in, and it won't be able to sense air intake temperature.
The engine will likely run, but there will be very little power as the ECU will be in open loop.

If you do a bit of searching, there's a Toyota Camry AFM that is a direct bolt in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom