No check engine light, no start... things to check? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My check engine light isn't coming on with the key in the on position. Is there anything to check besides the EFI relay and ECU that would cause this? Anything in the MAF sensor, wiring harness, etc that I should add to my list of things to check?

Assuming other accessories are working, thereby eliminating the battery, I'd look at the fusible links next. If no keyed accessory is working ( works only in on position, then I'd look at the ignition switch, as well.
To clarify, you are saying the rig doesn't start, either, right?

What really has me confused is that I haven't had a check engine light for 2 days since it died on the highway. https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...-issues-cont-died-left-me-stranded-today.html

I just got a check engine light when i put in the key and it did start but then died after 5 min..... Just like it did on the highway... Since it just started my gut is telling me it can't be the ignitor or coil. I also have a hissing sound from the injector area that is constant when the key is in the on position.

Are there other fusible links that would cause me to not have a check engine light besides the efi relay?

Can anyone with a 62 turn there key to the on position and verify that a hissing sound should not be there? I can't remember ever hearing this sound before and think it has to do with the relay.

So your car starts but doesn't stay on right? That sounds like a fuel problem since you're getting spark. Since it runs for a few minutes it sounds like your fuel pump is ok.

Are you saying that without starting the car but with the key in the on position you're getting a hissing sound? That sounds like some type of leak in air of fuel lines.

Check all rubber hoses connecting your fuel lines in the engine compartment (there's a few near the fuel pressure regulator on the drivers front fender side.)

I think fuel problems too. Tighten all fuel fittings and check for cracked pipes or hoses. Mike

I spent all of yesterday with the multimeter and think i have narrowed it down. Seems that when my MAF is plugged in, I get the hissing sound and my fuel pump runs but the truck won't start. By jiggling the MAF wiring around my Check engine light came back online.

With the MAF unplugged the truck starts but stalls out when i give it gas. I think this is normal since the motor isn't getting air/doesn't know what to do. I tested the resistance of the fuel switch that is in the MAF and it was low. The FSM says is should be infinity... Does this mean any resistance is acceptable?

At this point I've ruled out the coil/ignitor since the truck starts everytime the MAF is unplugged fro the harness.

I think I ruled out the EFI relay since that isn't what seems to be making the fuel pump come on when the key is only in the on position. I also did the continuity test per the fsm and I'm pretty sure its within range.

I've ruled out the dizzy coil pickup since that tested out like it should have.

I've pretty much ruled out an ECU issue since the check engine light came on after playing with the MAF and EFI relay wiring....

Any other things to check before I jump to conclusions? I will do a once over on my fuel afterwork today as suggested. Is there a MAF that will hook up off of another toyota I can find in the junk yard to verify my "theory"?

Last edited:
I tested the resistance of the fuel switch that is in the MAF and it was low. The FSM says is should be infinity... Does this mean any resistance is acceptable?

Infinity means it should be an open circuit or the resistance is not measurable. So if you are measuring any resistance with your meter than it not acceptable if the FSM says it should be infinity.

I don't have much experience on this so don't take this as fact. What about the cold start injector? Would that be something to check?

No, the cold start injector is simply an extra injector that lets fuel into the intake while the starter is cranking the engine. It also has a time switch on the ground side which keeps it from continuing to fire when the engine is cranked for an extended period.

Chase, whats the status on this...was it a ground someplace?

I spoke with him over the weekend and he was saying that there may be a ground issue with the MAF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom