No center diff lock after low range? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had low range gears installed in transfer case of 91 FJ80. Upon reinstallation I have no center diff lock. Light doesn’t light up on dash and no symptoms of 4wd. Any input? Nothing specific in search

somebody forgot to install the transfer case switch plug again ?

somebody forgot to install the transfer case switch plug again ?

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your wisdom.

I’ve deduced that I need to index the CDL actuator motor. Already shorted the diff lock harness to show light on dash and all of my tests show correct resistance on motor, and all connectors.

Thanks again!

Curious if that works. Let us know - I was unaware there was an indexing required as I thought it was a 2-position movement, but I guess it could be 180 out of phase, eh? Thanks - update when you get it.

For future me, I found a thread written by the late, great Tools R’ Us where he changed out the center diff lock actuator. In the process he lowered the transfer case and transmission assembly, and was able to remove the actuator.

Once I removed the actuator I plugged it in, had my helper activate the center diff lock via the dash switch, and I reached into the top of the case and rotated the position of the diff counter clockwise to LOCK. This was verified with the light on the dash. I pulled the front driveshaft and raised the rear wheels to verify it was truly locked. I reinstalled the actuator with the case and actuator in the locked position and joy has returned to the world!

Thanks for tuning in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom