No CEL - MAF Tear Down - No Start - EB1 Faulty (Solved) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I assume the battery was disconnected?

If so the ECU needs to re-learn the curb idle. It takes several ignition cycles for the idle to bump up.

Start it and let the engine settle down. Say for a minute. Shut it off and let it sit for 30 seconds or so and then re-start.

Repeat the process and each cycle the idle should bump up a bit. It can take 10 or more cycles.

Yes, I did that for about 1 hour and it's still the same. It has to be a leak somewhere...

How to explain the sound.... when it idles, it sounds like a 67 camero with cams, like it choked out. And it smells like its running rich. Sounds like it has cams in it lol. This is how it sounds, of course not like that but it's cutting out like that lol. Then it stalls out, no CEL comes on.

Last edited:
@1994LCNM
Have you addressed the oil covered spark plug shown in the photo you posted in #53 and my suggestion of leaking spark plug tube seals in post #68?

@1994LCNM
Have you addressed the oil covered spark plug shown in the photo you posted in #53 and my suggestion of leaking spark plug tube seals in post #68?
No not yet. It just doesn't make sense at all. That would have been an issue prior to the cel problem. No stalling, cutting out, or any issue prior to the cel problem.

Maybe we put the MAF back together wrong. Is there directions how to reassemble the MAF?

No not yet. It just doesn't make sense at all. That would have been an issue prior to the cel problem. No stalling, cutting out, or any issue prior to the cel problem.

Maybe we put the MAF back together wrong. Is there directions how to reassemble the MAF?

First of all it is not a MAF. The 94 model uses a VAF metering device that is not a serviceable device. Completely different functionality than a MAF. Until you fix known problems then you're just pissing into the wind. Your current problem screams vacuum leak which the tub seals can cause as well as the oil coated spark plugs could be causing misfires.

First of all it is not a MAF. The 94 model uses a VAF metering device that is not a serviceable device. Completely different functionality than a MAF. Until you fix known problems then you're just pissing into the wind. Your current problem screams vacuum leak which the tub seals can cause as well as the oil coated spark plugs could be causing misfires.
Sigh, what a PITA. Just doesn't make sense why none of this was an issue prior the whole fing CEL bs.

And now the cabin smells like exhaust big time when I drive it lol.

Last edited:
if you want to baseline your VAF then I recommend sending the whole unit to Bavarian Restorations in California as I did. It cost me $~360 from HI, it'll be cheaper from CONUS. Just an option, but like others have said, you should not have taken the VAF apart. They're too fickle to fork with, without consequences. They will completely overhaul the VAF and the website will show you in detail what they do. Was very well worth it for me. Turn time was about a month.

Now that I recall your thread, I'm confident your issues stem from the VAF. I linked the site earlier in your thread.

@FMC80
I can confirm the VAF was the issue. We took it apart, ran some tests, rebuilt it, ran tests, and finally rebuilt it again. For those that had asked questions, here is a picture of the order it gets rebuilt back in. If anyone has a question on the rebuild, PM me. And thanks for your help, very appreciated.

@ppc
Tube seals are next, and thanks for your help, much appreciated.

@jonheld
Thanks for your help, the electrician guru! Very appreciated.

@george_tlc
Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

@ppc
Thanks for hanging in there with me, much appreciated!

@Rifleman
Thanks for the info, very appreciated!

And thanks to the others who helped and provided feedback as well.

Moral of the story, one thing fixed leads to another that needs fixing. This VAF thing has to be streamlined for an at home fix, that is my goal here from all of these issues I came across. I will figure out how to fix a VAF at home and provide instructions.

20220203_214233.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom