No Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
andrewloe.com
I can push the pedal to the floor. Caught me by suprise they were working, got on the interstate, then needed to slow down and had nothing. I can pump them a bit and get some pressure, but right after release them and then push it back in I have nothing. What should I check first?

Booster problems usually cause a stiff pedal rather than a pedal going to the floor. I think your problem is a loss of fluid or a bad master cyl.

Ditto with 60wag. Check/replace the master. If the fluid is low replenish, if there is sufficient fluid replace the master. Don't bandaid it, it's not worth it.

The fluid is just below Max, which is where it has always been. Could it have been a random air bubble? When I start it in the driveway I have full pressure. I haven't tried to drive it again yet. I definatly won't bandaid the brakes.

It's the master. Mine did the same thing. It would have ok pressure at startup, but once I got rolling, no brakes.

I hypothesized that HEAT had something to do with it. I don't know what, I treid bleeding and all that to no avail. The only thing that fixed it was a new master.

Fred

I think it's correct that a bad booster makes for a stiff pedal. Since you have the opposite, it's not likely the booster.

That leaves either the MC or air in the lines...or water in the lines. Brake fluid is hydroscopic. (Aye hope eye speld that write?) It absorbs water, to prevent water bubbles. However it has a limit. If your fluid is old, enough heat will cause the increased water content to essentially boil. Boil = air = soft pedal.

Run a quart of brake fluid through the lines. That is, thoroughly flush out the old fluid. This will cost all of $8 or so. If that doesn't solve the problem, then the MC would be the next reasonable thing to replace.

WALoeIII said:
Ok, I drove it around this evening. No problems. I think flushing the brake fluid sounds like a fantastic idea. Where can I drain it?

On your drive way...haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom