NMBDR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sl33p3

still waking up...
Threads
Hi All, for anyone not familiar, there is a group of people making "Backcountry Discovery Routes" for our state and most of them around us. I found them over on ADVRider.

I bring this up for anyone who wants a precanned route to explore NM on mostly dirt/fireroad.

Lurch and I have done most all of it (only missing the section from Grants to Cuba). He's done 99% of it in 2wd and i'd take my stock 4R on all of it without fear.

food for thought.

New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route (NMBDR)

Last edited:
I'd like to run this trail, not sure when though. Where would be a decent place to start, somewhere near Cloudcroft maybe? I'd rather not go to TX if I can help it.

Would it be feasible to tow my Jayco Baja on it?

Awesome site.. on a side note, a buddy and I are planning a trip to the Valley of the Gods (Operation Airwolf), sometime next year, not sure of the dates yet, but I will post them up. It looks like our trip is roughly 1-2 of the UTBDR, so this is very helpful. As soon as we are firm on dates, I am going to open up a thread, and anyone who wants to join is welcome.

I'd like to run this trail, not sure when though. Where would be a decent place to start, somewhere near Cloudcroft maybe? I'd rather not go to TX if I can help it.

Tough call... jump in anywhere, I'd say, bail out and rejoin wherever else... make multiple trips out of completing it... it's all varied and interesting terrain in it's own right. That being said the area around Weed and Cloudcroft/Ruidoso is of course beautiful, Chloride was fun as well. You could do longer days in a vehicle than I could on my bike, but our trip was 1400miles from abq to dell, to grants and home...

Would it be feasible to tow my Jayco Baja on it?

I don't think I can answer that for you Marc. I don't have experience dragging a trailer offroad and am unfamiliar with the Jayco. I wouldn't pull my a-liner, but that doesn't mean it can't be done by someone. Would you pull it through Chloride Canyon? That had the most "challenging" parts I can recall of the entire route... but whether there was some section I've forgotten where a turn or a pinch would get you I can't recall. There were a couple steep sections heading up towards Cloudcroft I think... we spent a week going from Dell to Grants and they all kinda blur together for me.

Tough call... jump in anywhere, I'd say, bail out and rejoin wherever else... make multiple trips out of completing it... it's all varied and interesting terrain in it's own right. That being said the area around Weed and Cloudcroft/Ruidoso is of course beautiful, Chloride was fun as well. You could do longer days in a vehicle than I could on my bike, but our trip was 1400miles from abq to dell, to grants and home...

I don't think I can answer that for you Marc. I don't have experience dragging a trailer offroad and am unfamiliar with the Jayco. I wouldn't pull my a-liner, but that doesn't mean it can't be done by someone. Would you pull it through Chloride Canyon? That had the most "challenging" parts I can recall of the entire route... but whether there was some section I've forgotten where a turn or a pinch would get you I can't recall. There were a couple steep sections heading up towards Cloudcroft I think... we spent a week going from Dell to Grants and they all kinda blur together for me.

I pulled the Kamparoo through Chloride canyon few years back and I'm sure it has changed since then. I recall that section was rough, not sure if side clearance was an issue.

The road itself I would say was in good condition, it had been "graded" recently when we were through this spring, but it had all summer and it is a creek bed... there is one steep loose rocky climb about halfway through the section (right before coming down into that forestry cabin)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom