NMBDR interest and info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy,
I like to begin by introducing myself to the group. I moved to New Mexico about two and a half years ago. Have had a bunch of Jeeps. Montero's, Troopers and dirt bikes over the years and last fall acquired an 03 Land Cruiser. So far, it's mostly stock. I did add one and a half inch old man emu lift new shocks Tundra Wheels BFG 275 70 18 tires. Rebanded the CV boots and a handful of other things I can't recall right now. My main interest are Backcountry camping and traveling adventures... I think they call it over landing now days. I'm not really into heavy duty rock crawling, though it's fun, just not in my budget for the LC.

I've been looking into doing the NMBDR route and possibly the Colorado route. I was wondering if anybody has done it, has any information they would like to share or if anybody is interested in doing it or parts of it and then also possibly doing Colorado. I'm making preparations and hoping to get started on it pretty soon. I don't expect there will be any snow. I expect it will be pretty hot down south and pretty dusty overall. My biggest concern is getting on it and doing it before possible fire closures. I have been kicking around the idea of doing New Mexico Colorado Utah and Arizona. Not all back-to-back but eventually. I think it'd be really cool to see these States from this back road perspective. I know this is designed for motorcycles which I used to ride but I don't know because of an injury so I think it's still be cool to do in a cruiser any thoughts?

Howdy,
I like to begin by introducing myself to the group. ... and last fall acquired an 03 Land Cruiser.

Ahem .....

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Hello Dean,

Welcome to HDC and like Pappy says, pics man, PICS!!

I did the COBDR southern half last year and got stopped by weather at Leadville. This year we plan on jumping back on it at Buena Vista and finishing to the WY border.

CO Backcountry Discovery Route next week 9/20- 9/24

Also, I was thinking of doing the NMBDR this spring, now quickly turning into Summer. At least one other vehicle would be nice to go with for safety's sake.

Looks like we both live in the E. Mtns!!

I've looked at this. Gotta do it.

Depending on the timing, I may be interested

You get to destroy your Hundy at Rubithon next month so what are the odds you can make it? :)

Welcome! Hit up Lurch and Sl33p3 they did it a few years back.... From what they shared with me it should be pretty easy, I think your biggest problem would be dust.

The day I bought it down in Lubbock back in August drove down in my Jeep and towed it back period next day when I got home. I'm new to this so if I suck at it sorry

Doing the lift... first thing I invested in was heavy duty floor jacks and jack stands. The next picture is my trick to getting the original rear shocks off. Super easy to do this way

Wait, need more pics of the TJ. :hillbilly:

Thanks for the welcome and all the quick replies. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys. I will meet slim Buddha tomorrow and buy one of his wheels.

Good to know you guys have some interest in doing this too cuz I'd much rather do it with somebody else for safety Etc

The wild-card, as usual, is going to be the weather. Looking ahead in the forecast a week to 10 days out talking about the possibility of thunderstorms. That would be great to knock down the dust as long as it doesn't get too wet I've watched some videos of this and there's some sections that just turn to impassable mud which I'm sure you guys are full aware of.

alia176 and everyone else
How soon do you think you could be ready to go and how much time do you have to do it. I can go probably within a few days I just have to get a tire mounted on that wheel I'm buying tomorrow. It would be me and the boss. And we have plenty of time, she is off for the summer.

alia176 and everyone else
How soon do you think you could be ready to go and how much time do you have to do it. I can go probably within a few days I just have to get a tire mounted on that wheel I'm buying tomorrow. It would be me and the boss. And we have plenty of time, she is off for the summer.

I don't see my schedule opening until after Memorial day holiday and hopefully southern NM isn't stupid hot. Although, the beginning of NMBDR is high elevations then you drop down to I-25 then enter the Gila so it might be alright now that I think about it.

Did you introduce yourself with a new thread? Also, fill out your signature info with your vehicle and such.

@lurch and I did all of NMBDR except Fence lake to Cuba section (revenge closeout planned this year). I rode my KTM950S and he drove his 40. I don't think he ever used 4wd, it was all easy.

I assume you've seen this thread? I'd go there for recent conditions and discussion, but temps are already hot south and the forests are dry, restrictions are in effect and might close completely...

Thanks, yeah I just read the last couple of days worth of the thread. The consensus is very hot down south and very dusty. I wonder if it would be better to start at the north end head south.

shrug. might be if you were going to bail before finishing it, but over the course of a week you are going to see all of it... you will only be south at a later warm date...

also, all the BDR timing and sections are based on moto pace, which on some of those roads is considerably better than 4wd pace. expect to take longer than advertised unless you never stop and like abusing your rig... not a big deal, just a consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom