Nitro Helix differential (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Has anyone used one in a 6x series (front or rear)? I've been intrigued by the idea of a torsen differential, and recently saw that Nitro makes one for the Toyota 9.5" axles. They're listed as only compatible with full float axles as they don't accommodate C clips, but since I have rear discs in my 62, I wouldn't be worried about a shaft creeping out without C clips in place.

I'm just curious if anyone has used one and what their impression is of them. I don't do any wheeling that would NEED lockers (not to say lockers wouldn't be beneficial; I just think I'd get just as much benefit from a torsen diff based on what I do), so I'm considering this as another option.

Has anyone used one in a 6x series (front or rear)? I've been intrigued by the idea of a torsen differential, and recently saw that Nitro makes one for the Toyota 9.5" axles. They're listed as only compatible with full float axles as they don't accommodate C clips, but since I have rear discs in my 62, I wouldn't be worried about a shaft creeping out without C clips in place.

I'm just curious if anyone has used one and what their impression is of them. I don't do any wheeling that would NEED lockers (not to say lockers wouldn't be beneficial; I just think I'd get just as much benefit from a torsen diff based on what I do), so I'm considering this as another option.
I looked it up. Not the best application for off-road; if you have a wheel in the air it acts like open diff/no bueno. If I was going to the trouble of swapping diffs I’d get a locker and be done with it. 🤓

I looked it up. Not the best application for off-road; if you have a wheel in the air it acts like open diff/no bueno. If I was going to the trouble of swapping diffs I’d get a locker and be done with it. 🤓
I'm honestly still leaning that way. I'm never in a position where I have a wheel in the air, so the price point made me curious enough to ask if anyone has experience with them.

I'm a fan of the Harrop lockers honestly from the research I've done, so I will likely still go that route when I eventually put a locker in (rear first).

but since I have rear discs in my 62, I wouldn't be worried about a shaft creeping out without C clips in place.

Please try this and let everyone know how it goes. :lol:

I just set up a third member with a Nitro LSD a few weeks ago that we will be using in a project here in a few months. LS/6l80 in a FJ62 with 80 axles F/R with full TorFab bracket kit.

Please try this and let everyone know how it goes. :lol:

I just set up a third member with a Nitro LSD a few weeks ago that we will be using in a project here in a few months. LS/6l80 in a FJ62 with 80 axles F/R with full TorFab bracket kit.
You set it up in a semi or full float axle? If I remember right, others in the past have used lockers in semi float axles that didn't accommodate the C-clips and had no issues due to having converted to rear discs. It made sense to me, given the C-clips are there to hold the shafts in place; drums wouldn't prevent the shafts from coming out, but discs with their calipers in place would.

When I rebuilt my rear diff last spring I was curious about this exact concept and popped a caliper on one axle shaft without installing the C-clip, and with the rotor secured to the flange the axle shaft couldn't be pulled out. When I did the final assembly I still put the C-clip in though.

The big problem I imagine (speculation here) would be in the event of a catastrophic failure of the axle shaft; no actual wheel hub like the full floats to prevent you from ending up with a cocked wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom