Nitro gears: 4.88 or 5.29? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did the Transfer case regear to bring back to stock with 35" tires.

I do not recommend, my cruise control on baby hills downshifts.

Now I am thinking 34.2" tires all around!

Let's put miles on my YOKOHAMA MT Extreme tires first...lol

What's the overdrive gear ratio on the 80?

If your running 40s, you will need 529 or crawler gear. Assuming you are running 40s for rocks and not for pavement...lol

tbh it's kind of moot. It's a 7% difference. Crawl ratio with a 3.1 trans and 4.88s is 89 with 5.29 it's 96. The difference between 89 and 96 is not even perceived especially with Autos.

tbh it's kind of moot. It's a 7% difference. Crawl ratio with a 3.1 trans and 4.88s is 89 with 5.29 it's 96. The difference between 89 and 96 is not even perceived especially with Autos.
I dunno, i was running 488 on 37s and now added crawler gear in my TC and it was night and day when i was in 4Lo.

Maybe I'm just lost, because I am a lot, but crawl ratio on my Cruiser with 3.1 transfer case gears and 4.88 is 44.77. If I went to 5.29, it becomes 48.53. It's still only a 9 percent change, but it's enough to notice and be worth looking into when you're going to tear open the diffs regardless.

I dunno, i was running 488 on 37s and now added crawler gear in my TC and it was night and day when i was in 4Lo.
If you are referring to the 3.11 low range there is a about a 20% difference which is much more significant of a change moving from 2.49 to 3.11.

Maybe I'm just lost, because I am a lot, but crawl ratio on my Cruiser with 3.1 transfer case gears and 4.88 is 44.77. If I went to 5.29, it becomes 48.53. It's still only a 9 percent change, but it's enough to notice and be worth looking into when you're going to tear open the diffs regardless.

Crawl Ratio is Trans Gear (1st) * TC Gear * Diff gear * Stall Torque (if auto) = crawl ratio

2.95*3.11*4.88*2= 89.54
2.95*3.11*5.29*2=97.06

You are correct that its 9% but it's really hard to perceive this crawling with such low ratios. Most of this is noticed in a manual because the lack of TC, auto not as much.

My Tacoma had a 99 ratio and my cruiser currently has 75 and even then its extremely situation to see the difference

Is 5.29 mathematically better, probably but not worth someone beating themselves up over.

I run 40s on my Jeep and have 5.38s but I went with 538s not because of 40s but because with a manual trans I needed to get as close to 100:1 as possible for comfortable offroading due to clutch management

Last edited:
If you are referring to the 3.11 low range there is a about a 20% difference which is much more significant of a change moving from 2.49 to 3.11.

Crawl Ratio is Trans Gear (1st) * TC Gear * Diff gear * Stall Torque (if auto) = crawl ratio

2.95*3.11*4.88*2= 89.54
2.95*3.11*5.29*2=97.06

You are correct that its 9% but it's really hard to perceive this crawling with such low ratios. Most of this is noticed in a manual because the lack of TC, auto not as much.

My Tacoma had a 99 ratio and my cruiser currently has 75 and even then its extremely situation to see the difference

Is 5.29 mathematically better, probably but not worth someone beating themselves up over.

I run 40s on my Jeep and have 5.38s but I went with 538s not because of 40s but because with a manual trans I needed to get as close to 100:1 as possible for comfortable offroading due to clutch management
Ok, you're assigning a 2X multiplier for the torque converter blanketly across the gear. That's what I was lost on. I understand it's not going to lock up in 1st gear ever, but it's not typically static as RPMs rise, so I was just looking at the gears themselves. Thank you! I'm not so lost anymore lol

Ok, you're assigning a 2X multiplier for the torque converter blanketly across the gear. That's what I was lost on. I understand it's not going to lock up in 1st gear ever, but it's not typically static as RPMs rise, so I was just looking at the gears themselves. Thank you! I'm not so lost anymore lol

Ya the stall torque from the TC for the 80 series is 2:1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom