Nitro Gear 4.88 Master Install Kit Spline selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jchattdesign.com
What exactly is different between the Nitro Gear 27 and 29 spline kits?

Long story short - I bought the 27 spline kit on sale a few years ago, based on the fact that it would be going on my FZJ80.
However, I've recently purchased a friends 4.88 Yukon Ring and pinion which is 29 splines and debating if I really need to buy the 29 Spline Yukon install kit from him and try to sell my kit.

Last edited:
The 27 spline may taper down somewhat compared to the 29? I’m running 30 spline shafts up front, which don’t taper down in diameter like the stock 24 spline. Not sure if a lower spline count equals more taper?

A call to Cruiser Outfitters would get you an answer I’ll bet. I’d like to know the answer too.

We are talking pinions correct? Around 2000 Toyota increased the diameter of the pinon shaft which resulted in an increase in spline count. So all our 80s have 27 spline count pinions from the factory. If you are re-gearing and using the larger 29 spline pinions you will also need the appropriate outer bearing, slinger, oil seal, companion flange and nut.
I haven't done a regear in a few years and back then the only 29 spline sets were 8". Because our 8" are reverse cut and use a paddle style slinger that had to be gotten from Toyota or you could open up the center hole for the stock one to fit.

So the kit you have will work with the exception of needing the parts mentioned. When I last did a gear install I had to buy them separately. With the current master kits you should find out if those parts are included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom