Nissan Patrol y61 and the long lasting fued with the land cruiser 100 - 105 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys ,

Over all,

which do you think would be better offroad

the solid axle patrol ? ?

or the 100 series ? ?

how about the 105 how do you think that would stack up against the y61 patrol ?

over here in the middle east , its a known fact

the patrols have more torque for climbing sand dunes and land cruisers are more durable in the rocky areas and are known to be more sturdy over time ?

if the patrol was sold in the usa would you have gotten it instead of your current 100-105 ? ?

gx-r

Doubt it. Had a '96 4Runner Limited and went to get a '00 Limited, ended up looking at the LCs and went to Lexus and got a LX.

I think you'll see a lot of bias on this board...

same arguments as the SUbaru vs Mitsu crowd...

preference will always play a biased part.. the older Patrols back in OZ were awesome...

Don't know the new ones as well, but don't find them to be that attractive. I had like a 1983 Patrol while living in South America in the late 90's. Ran on regular gas, no smog equipment. Great truck ! Drove that thing everywhere.

Wish I had it again.

Patrol is boss. Here is a Patrol in the family - in the US I drive a LC 100 series. There is no comparison the Patrol is all business.
P.S. - The Patrol has 397,000 miles on it original engine and is still going strong.
IMG_0189.jpg

Don't know enough to say which I prefer but I would definitely have a y61 Patrol in the family too if they were available here. But overall, I much prefer Toyota over Nissan.

It's funny, one of the Australian 4WD mags I used to subscribe to always had a 4WD of the Year competition. The solid axle 100 won every time, until they started testing the IFS truck. Then the still-solid axle Patrol began winning.

As far as my order of preference, here it is:

1.) solid axle 100/105
2.) solid axle Patrol (any generation)
3.) IFS 100

But my needs may be different from yours. Of the two trucks I currently own, it's the solid axle diesel G-Wagen that I would take around the world, not the IFS 100...

Generally speaking, Toyota holds better resale value over Nissan, and Aussies can attest to this between the Land Cruiser and Patrol. Another observation that I've read is that the build quality of the chassis is more robust on the Y61 than the 100/105 series, but there are issues with it's engines.

Parts are more available with Toyota than with Nissan around the world, (no surprise there).

Also, Nissan Patrols are much cheaper than Land Cruiser (brand new and used). One can deduce cause being Land Cruisers are more in demand maybe. So if the OP has no particular brand loyalty, choose what you can afford.

And between the 2 Japanese giants, Toyota is more reliable (MY personal observation).

My pick: Toyota Land Cruiser.

Resale value and poor engines with the exception of TD42 are what have turned people away from NISSAN even in places where it is offered. In all honesty, NISSAN have struggled to replace the Y60 with subsequent models not really proving themselves both in durability and comfort.

Generally speaking, Toyota holds better resale value over Nissan, and Aussies can attest to this between the Land Cruiser and Patrol. Another observation that I've read is that the build quality of the chassis is more robust on the Y61 than the 100/105 series, but there are issues with it's engines.

Parts are more available with Toyota than with Nissan around the world, (no surprise there).

Also, Nissan Patrols are much cheaper than Land Cruiser (brand new and used). One can deduce cause being Land Cruisers are more in demand maybe. So if the OP has no particular brand loyalty, choose what you can afford.

And between the 2 Japanese giants, Toyota is more reliable (MY personal observation).

My pick: Toyota Land Cruiser.

i just got back from AUS/NZ and noticed a lot more of the new Patrols around. I was on a lot of farms as well and of course drooling over all of their LC's. Just about every time we got into a discussion about LC's and they would almost always bring up the new Patrols getting more and more popular.

What is funny is they would bash the Land Rovers saying they looked nice but never hold up.

personally i like the new patrols, but i like the new LC troopies much better... only draw back on the LC T is it's only a two door.

Nissan has bullet proof drive train (+), marginal cooling system (-), cheap interior (-) and sh*t engines (-----)...
So in LC vs Patrol contest - LC all the way unless you into some crazy skyhigh lifts and rockhopping...

Last edited:
Just about every time we got into a discussion about LC's and they would almost always bring up the new Patrols getting more and more popular.
I am extremely suprised to hear such statement, all (many) people who I had pleasure talking to, especially Nissan owners, spit as soon as new Patrols are mentioned...
Time will tell, but I personally doubt many Nissan owners will be queueing up to get an upgrade (unlike many Yota owners queued for LC200).

I've got 2 Y60 Patrols here in a Canukistan and have followed the discussion on the Y61s for years. <It'll still be a while before we can import the JDM Y61s here.> While Toyota went downhill in the 100/105 series drivetrain, Nissan made it even stronger on the already strong Y60 drivetrain. Nissan also decided that they needed a modern diesel 3.0L engine for the Y61, which affectionately became known as the "Grenade" .... because that is what it did with regular frequency. In limited numbers, the Y61 was also sold with the TD4.2TI. The TD4.2 in the Y60s may be underpowered but it makes up for that in torque and more importantly - dependability. Get the TD4.2TI and forget any concern about not enough power. As long as you stay away from the auto with the TD4.2TI, the electronics are minimal and dead simple. On the flip side, the 100 series has a lot of comfort accessories that you will not find on any Patrol. Saddly, it looks like the new Patrol will be as much of a glorified shopping cart as the 200 Series. In the auto industry, "progress" is more often than not an oxymoron. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom