Nissan Patrol vs. FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, I'm in need of some advice. I've seen some older Patrols and obviously they look like 40s, but I'm not sure of their comparability to the 40s. If anyone knows, I'd like to hear from them. PM me or email me at rprzekwas@gmail.com
If this is the wrong area for which to post this request, sorry. And at this point, I'm not looking to buy either vehicle, I'm just starting on some research. I can't find a forum for Patrols on the web, and I trust the judgment of the forum regulars here. Thanks for your time guys.

What part of the world do you live in?

The only Nissan Patrols I have seen in the USA are from the mid to late 1960's. Is that what you are looking for? If so, a friend in Phoenix has a few, I can ask if he would be willing to part with one.

They're almost impossible to find here in the US so they don't have a giant following in our part of the world. They're cool vehicles though, same basic idea as a cruiser with a removable top and doors and ultra simplistic design. However, due to their relative rarity any kind of body part or mechanical bit is very hard to find and when you do very expensive. I can't remember the axles but I remember that they had a 3 speed and part time case like the 40s. I'd happily take either vehicle.

I'm in Colorado...and since I posted this thread this morning, I discovered just that: almost non-existent in the US. I did see one a while back on CL, but wasn't sure about all of the details. You seem to know a bit about these, at least you have a friend with a few who might, so I guess the question I haven't been able to answer in my searches this morning is what the import laws are for new ones. I don't have a boat load of cash, but I saw a few of these newer Patrols (even the older ones) and they look remarkably similar to new and old LCs. The rarity of them may put them out of my price range. What do decently built older patrols sell for. Are they comparable to a semi-restored (not frame off, but still pretty well done) 40? Is a newer one out of the question unless I move to Canada? Thanks for your help with this. It may just be a pipe dream in the making...

I may have answered my question about importing...so the question is what the price comparison is with a 1960's 40 and a 1960s Patrol? The only one that I saw on CL was a parts rig, and he wanted 800 without the tub...what am I getting into in looking at these other than the cost of parts which appears to be fairly high? Am I better off sticking to finding the 40 I really want?

Nissan Patrols are truly rare in the US, so if you want a practical wheeler using original components, it's probably not the best choice. It's a very cool rig though, and you could always swap in a domestic drivetrain or mix n match some LC components. A '63 model was for sale here on Mud not long ago and it was a runner. It was in the $4K range IIRC. My local Nissan dealer had one back in 9/1997 with only 50K + original on it (saved the ad). No asking price though ... The dealer claimed that about 2000 rigs were imported between 1962 and 1969. I've seen them go on eBay for under a grand (whole, but rough, sounds like your guy wants too much) to about $6500 depending on condition and mods. Importing one wouldn't be any more difficult than importing the LC troopies and diesel trucks guys have been bringing over from Australia and Canada. But parts would still be a challenge for the original Patrol drivetrain. If you're just going to use it for mild wheeling, then maybe sourcing parts wouldn't be a big deal since you wouldn't be beating the snot out of the rig anyway. Just my $0.02, but I think you could do a Patrol for about the same money as a 40 because rare doesn't equate to valuable ($$$) unless there is demand, and there isn't much demand for Patrols in the US. If you want a Patrol, you'll just have to be patient and persistent. Then again, you'll need patience and persistence for a 40 too, but at least you have Mud as a resource. Hope all that was good food for thought! Best of luck!

US version rear axles are garbage...

Novelty vehicle at best....this coming from a guy that owns a 1965 Series II 88 Station Wagon Land Rover... :lol:

:meh:

That is exactly why I asked where he lived.

The foreign built ones are built like tanks and are rated very high and are compairable to the Land Cruiser. The USA ones remind me of a Suzuki Samari. Cute but pretty nonfunctional in stock mode. Aftermarket parts are just there for them (NP's) in the US. The oil bath airfilters put a nice smoke screen if you drive on anything steeper than a curb.

US version rear axles are garbage...

Novelty vehicle at best....this coming from a guy that owns a 1965 Series II 88 Station Wagon Land Rover... :lol:

:meh:

As a side note, my buddy picked up a complete and running but rusted out one for $300 in the North East USA.

Weird, I never really saw a similarity between the 2 in fact the Patrol looks like an old school land rover defender if anything. The only thing similar in my opinion is their both nolstagic.

A guy up the street from my house had 2, hes since moved and there is another one parked up the street, 3 with 2 blocks not too rare in my neck of the woods apparently.

Good luck but like assassin said, why buy a nissan when you can get a FORTY !

I've always thought patrols were cool, but if you compare an FJ40 to one you'll see how much beefier the toyota is, the axle thickness for one stands out. Just a couple weeks ago a buddy of mine told me he spotted a cruiser under a tree on a back road near where I live and then another friend told me the same thing, I couldn't find it and I started to freak out cause I kinda keep tabs on that sort of thing in my neck of the woods(I know where every cruiser is at all times) and I told them it was a nissan patrol. They insisted it was a Landcruiser even though I went and checked it out. They still think I am wrong, it has to be a landcruiser and in my eyes there is a huge difference, in their eyes they know for a fact that an fj40 and a nissan patrol are in fact the exact some vehicle. Needless to say they have never had a fj40

I've always thought patrols were cool, but if you compare an FJ40 to one you'll see how much beefier the toyota is, the axle thickness for one stands out. Just a couple weeks ago a buddy of mine told me he spotted a cruiser under a tree on a back road near where I live and then another friend told me the same thing, I couldn't find it and I started to freak out cause I kinda keep tabs on that sort of thing in my neck of the woods(I know where every cruiser is at all times) and I told them it was a nissan patrol. They insisted it was a Landcruiser even though I went and checked it out. They still think I am wrong, it has to be a landcruiser and in my eyes there is a huge difference, in their eyes they know for a fact that an fj40 and a nissan patrol are in fact the exact some vehicle. Needless to say they have never had a fj40

FUNNY, a guy up the street from me said, hey dude have you seen the guy up the street with 2 just like yours sitting in his drive way! NO, I say there not like mine, he insisted ...:eek:

The novelty value would be pretty cool, but I wouldn't risk the lack of a support network for the sake of uniqueness, especially if local axles are (according to testimony) junk. I would also tread lightly in the buying arena, because I recall Nissan having some quality issues into the late sixties when they started copying Benz to refine the motors.
I gotta say that appearance-wise there are some neat features to those old Patrols, they still just don't look as classy as a Cruiser. Don't get me wrong, I'd drive one over a heep anyway, but the front bezel and hard-top just don't look as sophisticated as the 40-series.

my 0.02

My opinion is that Toyota was superior to Nissan up until the mid-to-late 80s. After that .... Nissan was (and remains) superior .

And I am comparing them on the basis of off-road-ability/ruggedness/reliability.

:beer:

PS. There are plenty of both in this part of the world.

PPS. I agree that that a sixties Nissan is cr@p compared to a sixties Toyota. (Same with 1970's and early 80s comparisons.)

there is a rough nissan patrol on ebay right now

hey lost marbles !! Seeing your in the cool part of the world what about the 2010 hzj79??? seems pretty rugged to me!! so your telling all of us that nissan is better????

hey lost marbles !! Seeing your in the cool part of the world what about the 2010 hzj79??? seems pretty rugged to me!! so your telling all of us that nissan is better????

Well .... maybe I rushed that post and should really have put an upper limit (for Nissan superiority).... of say 2008.

I admit I haven't looked at the specs of the latest models for a few years. And looking now at 2009 Patrols - I'd have to say I DON'T like them. (They've gone "soft" ... which incidentally was my complaint about Toyota when it first favoured independant suspension over beam axles.)

So Nissan now seem to have "lost the plot" too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom