Nissan Patrol vs. FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Patrols are pretty cool and I thought about trying to get one, but like others said, way too hard to find things for them if you want to keep it somewhat original.

I agree that the Patrols look like old Rovers. The curvature of the tops of the rear fenders, the shape of the rear, the boxed in front fenders etc, but they still look WAY better than some rover in the face. The patrol was definitely based off of the Land Rover designs and the Land Cruiser was based off of Willys / Jeep designs..

Well .... maybe I rushed that post and should really have put an upper limit (for Nissan superiority).... of say 2008.

I admit I haven't looked at the specs of the latest models for a few years. And looking now at 2009 Patrols - I'd have to say I DON'T like them. (They've gone "soft" ... which incidentally was my complaint about Toyota when it first favoured independant suspension over beam axles.)

So Nissan now seem to have "lost the plot" too.

Everyone's gone soft these days. I'd still take a newer Toyota Pickup over a newer Nissan, though, Nissans seem a bit too high-geared to me.

Whatever the case is, though, I look at modern 4X4's and get frustrated with how they all seem to be super-plush luxury land-yachts with over-complicated drivetrains and just too much junk onboard.

I wheeled with 2 of em .... there both runnin Toyota drive train :lol: one pickup one FJ .... cause the owners couldnt find parts to repair the Nissan stuff ...cool lookin hard to find spare parts for ...

Last edited:
Whatever the case is, though, I look at modern 4X4's and get frustrated with how they all seem to be super-plush luxury land-yachts with over-complicated drivetrains and just too much junk onboard.

i hear ya Brother---i got a 2005 Tacoma 4 x 4 longbed.....weak tailgate, springs squeak mdflaps are plastic,i have been a TOYOTA man since 1979.....now my old 85 4runner, mud flaps are rubber and still on there since i bought it in 1985..........i guess that's why i love ole school fj's built tough back in the day----

Concerning nissan supiriority during late 80s and 90s I wouldn't be so sure. Here in Lebanon, Patrols share a similar following, if not even more so, as the Land Cruisers. For one here you see more 80s and 90s Patrols than you do Land Cruisers (but not by much). Second, Patrols of the late 80s have simply one superior aspect when compared to Land Cruisers and it is the coil sprung suspension (87 onwards). With the introduction of the 80 series Nissan simply had no significant advantage over the Land Cruiser.

So in my opinion, Nissan could be called superior for a time period of about 3 years.

Last edited:
Hey all...great reading...This is why I love this site. I know so little about these Toyota's and Nissan's as I have always been an Early Bronco guy...But, as retirement nears, I keep thinking something classy for the wife and I to drive in the hills with will be nice. I love my FJ62 that I picked up back in December, but it's too big! The 40s are what I like most, but about which I know very little. I agree with the post that the Patrols also resemble the Defender and Series II (of which I've had both). And perhaps the parts issue has secured my desire for a 40! It was miserable getting the parts I needed for the Land Rovers! The parts issue, even though I've only done some soft wheeling, was why I've always liked the Broncos. Everything was so easy to replace and quite inexpensive. In the end, though, when you have to replace a radiator three times, the cost isn't really beneficial!! Too bad we Yanks can't make what the Japanese have been able to make for years! Well, Thanks for all your help. I'll be using all the great advice you've all provided. Most likely scenario is that a FORTY will be the choice!

Guys,
I thought that I´d chime in from my neck of the woods. In my 4x4 club we have several sub groups; Cruisers - 40´s and 80s, Samurais, Nissan Patrols and the rest, odd Mercedes, Rovers etc. The modern Patrols v. 40s completely different vehicles off road, the 40 is nimble and agile, not as nimble as the tiny Samurais but then they don´t have the 40s power and torque. Modern Patrols have torque but they also have a big a s s e s and have a hard time in tight spots. The modern Patrols here run in the same class as the 80s. The biggest following folks here had for Patrols, similar to Mud was in Spain. Parts availability for the modern ones is easy in the days of Internet, decent parts streams out of Australia. Additionally the really modern ones are popular here as family car grocery getters and you get decent service at the dealership.

There was one guy here who had a 1960 Patrol, three speed. Very simple rig and it looked great after paint and body work. The problem, as many have said is parts sourcing. In two years he had a list of parts that he needed to get the thing on the road and in two years it never ran. It was the most beautiful off road rig ever to grace the garage floor in bits and pieces. He was unable to get components for any major system without having to compromise and go with somebody elses, read Toyota, Chevy etc part. As he had several other cars and this was a toy project, in the end he just loaded all of the shiny bits onto a trailer and took it all home. It is all sitting on the floor of his garage now, still in pieces. The original parts list from two years ago still without a single item checked off. Every time I felt bad about how my restore was going I´d look at his. The thing that kept him going is all of the old guys in the club kept going on about how when they were kids these things were "little goats" that were unstoppable. In sum, my advice, unless you are a Jay Leno type with endless garage space, cash stream and time, this isn´t a pratical rig to restore in the U.S. Even assuming that you get one in pretty good running shape, you´ll be too scared to run it off road for fear of busting some unobtainum part and having the rig sidelined thereafter. Assuming that you get one in perfect shape, the same fear will have you chasing parts to stockpile as spares world wide in your off time. Roll with a 40 and take pictures of an old patrol that some guy restored as a show car at the next antique car show in your area.
Good luck,
John

I noticed the Nissan Patrol has air vents just below the windshield just like a Series Land Rover. I thought Nissan used the corporate name "Datsun" back in the 60's ( at least here in the States). ...........1978HJ45

It was the only vehicle of the time to use the Nissan name. Current DMV databases do not have Nissan as make for that year, nor do they have Patrol for a Datsun model. Makes for a hard time to register plates, title, and insure.

Currently the patrol has bigger, stronger axles as an option- larger than 14 bolt. My last job overseas needed some new trucks to replace the old 105s- the new 200s were too expensive and the 70s not available so the organization went to patrols. Not as comfortable or drivable as the 105s were....

While I know nothing about the Nissan Patrol ( I do not think I have ever even seen one), if it is of the same quality as the Datsun 240Z that I drove back in the early 70's it can't be all bad.
Just my opinion...........1978HJ45

Defenetly Rugged vehicles, I have friends with 1976 . 1995, and 2005,Patrol's everything is huge on those things, nothing to envy Land Cruisers , only if you see one and watch it closely you know what I am talking about especially the Nissan Y60 (1989 to 1998 I think).

i have an 83 fj40 and 83 patrol SWB. never wheeled the patrol. on the road, id have to say the patrol has a little nicer ride, even though both are leaf-sprung. parts are getting a bit scarce for it- harder to find than for the fj, new or used. so stateside im sure it would be even tougher. if i were to import, it would not be a patrol- sourcing parts would be a nightmare. resale value would be lower too, im sure.

Maybe it is just me, but the early patrols remind me of international scouts front to rear.

the 70 series never had IFS . And in the rest of the world sans N america you can still get solid axles and more "sport utility" cruisers instead of luxury .

Maybe it is just me, but the early patrols remind me of international scouts front to rear.

A lot closer to the Series Rover in design, from the box shape, to the bulkheads right down to the crappy steering configuration... :lol:

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom