Nifty idea for rigs without a radio. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If your like myself and don't have a factory or aftermarket radio in your truck I'm sure you have considered installing one in the glove box or console or wherever. Well then you still have to mount the speakers somewhere. I was drooling over some new tools at home depot today and came across this little guy. It takes a 12v rechargeable battery, 110v outlet, or even double AA batteries. I like the simplicity of it. Throw it in the truck for long trips set it up at camp whatever then throw it in the glove box or console for storage. It's super durable, nearly waterproof (marine grade speakers) and super compact. It even has a secure little storage compartment on the front for your ipod.

IMAG0976.jpg

Nifty idea for rigs without a radio.
Hmmmm. A jam box.

If you're talking about a jawbone jam box, they aren't nearly loud enough. Not sure about the big jam box, though.

isn't the boom box so last century ? :lol:

remember when people walked around with them on the street before the walkman came out :hillbilly: oh wait, you probably weren't even born then

Yeah yeah I know boom boxes have been around for a while but most aren't 1.waterproof 2. Made to be abused. 3. Small enough to store in the console. 4. Come with rechargeable batteries and two other alternative power sources. And this thing is plenty loud unless you need your "bump" while your cruising with no top and 38" knobbies.

I don't have a radio in mine, but I have a cheapo amplifier under one seat and speakers on my roll bar. Plug my ipod directly into the amplifier and I have tunes everywhere I go. Ipod disappears into the tuffy console or my pocket if there's a security issue when parked. Works for me -

I use an old amp and an RCA -> Headphone jack cable hooked to the input. Amp sits in a metal box on the rear fender well. Cell phone does the work of the head unit.

The only boom box going in my 40 would be this period correct one.

lasonic-boombox-2.jpg

http://www.smithgear.com/las-i-931-..._content=pla&gclid=CLGTzv2XvbICFWGnPAodZ1wAmA

On a side note, with all of the marine radio technology, I am constantly surprised with the amount of home made stereo setups that people create for their 40 that are when there are much better professional solutions for the same price. Yours not included.

BTW the dewalt boom box like yours has amazing sound. I was at a resort in mexico and they used one of these for all of the "activities." It put out as much sound as a car audio system could.

Last edited:
Mine was cobbled together from leftover crap I pulled from previous vehicles.

I have just been using this in my 71 Fj40:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Boom...47905441&sr=8-16&keywords=blue+tooth+speakers

Play's from my iPhone via bluetooth. I set it on the dash pad and it wont budge on normal road driving, and if I go on a bumpier drive I can move it anywhere...including the tent. It has a rechargable battery that last for 10 hours. Its not a pair of 10's and some 6x9's but it works. I can hear it just fine over the tractor motor and I don't have to worry about people trying to jack my radio. Just what I use for now, I might move to a typical automotive setup down the road though, I do like to hear a full range of sound and a small speaker system like this will not give you it.

MY plan

MY plan is to take something like this...

PPA-10DET.jpg

one that will fit behind my confer rear seat, and make it a self contained unit that can be easily removed. Put amps, and speakers in the box, connections would be power/ground, and a mini headphone jack. Then I can just plug in an mp3 player and be done with it. Easily removable when its not needed or additional storage is required.

I don't have a radio in mine, but I have a cheapo amplifier under one seat and speakers on my roll bar. Plug my ipod directly into the amplifier and I have tunes everywhere I go. Ipod disappears into the tuffy console or my pocket if there's a security issue when parked. Works for me -

This is what I'll be doing when ever I quit being lazy and feel like drilling and tapping my cage to put some speakers in.

I have a Pyle marine amp too. I used a Blitzsafe iPod adapter so I take my stereo with me every time I park.

Hey I got that mininradio when I bought 100$ in Milwaukee tools. It's not bad no for free. Bonus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom