Nice Cheap 80 Series Centercaps!!! FINALLY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
while, i am usually a very big stickler on keeping my rigs 100% OEM (even down to coolant, belts, etc....), the one that really blew my mind was how much the 80 series center caps are and how fast they go to crap!

the new 80 i just picked up had one missing and 3 that looked like total crap and the rig only has 118k and has always been garaged!

toyota wants about $55-65 EACH for these little cheesy pieces of plastic which can add up quick when they are stolen or damaged.

i found a SET on ebay that are aftermarket made in malaysia for almost the same price of ONE oem piece. i figured i didnt have much to lose, so i ordered a set and they arrived yesterday! i was VERY impressed! side by side they look 100% identical in every way shape and form (even have the mounting clips). the paint was very nice too! not OEM perfect, but still very nice considering i paid like $18 each vs $60 They also fit much better/snugger then the loose OEM units!

again, i am all about going OEM (Support Your Local Dealer!!! Or C-Dan :D )with damn near everything that goes into my rig, but i think these caps are a good way to make the rig look nice cheaply! its hard spending $60 on a piece of plastic that can easily be damaged when wheeling!

anyway, here is a pic (pretty nice huh)?

IMG_0283.JPG

centercaps are for :princess: s... :D

You'll have to give us periodic updates on how well they weather the San Diego sun.

Brentbba said:
You'll have to give us periodic updates on how well they weather the San Diego sun.

for sure, i am curious too!

Question for Dan?
I have a 1996 Cruiser, were the center caps silver or black center like Boston's. I have seen both on Ebay.

GM

Boston NICE CAPS. I am going to order some too.

GM,

The ones on my '96 are silver. I do not know, but based on their condition, I'd assume they're original.

Charlie

Grouseman said:
Boston NICE CAPS. I am going to order some too.

Cool, regardless of year or color, i personally like the ones with the black centers. Especially on the 40th rims, they make the dark grey in the rim stand out.

Just my .02

Your old one looks new compared to mine.

Bear,

I am not too lazy, too busy man, too busy. Work approx. 70-80 hours a week.

GM

Look O.K. to me.

Rattle can a couple of coats of "clear coat" on them before installing, it may help them hold up longer. I don't know "yet" how long the clear coat lasts because mine seem to get stolen faster than I can paint them.

IIRC, the caps went from black centers to all silver in 1995.

Brentbba said:

Careful we might get these daily.... :rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

TX_TLC said:
Careful we might get these daily.... :rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

Seems someone has a personal beef with me, hmmmm

The blow up kinda killed the quality. I think my custom job matches the 40th's gray inlay better than the average pre-'95 caps. I'm going to paint the emblem balck not gold to match the black pearl emblems. Then a heavy coat of clear lacquer to give the caps a similer finish of the wheels. I guess I don't have much work to do on my wagon so I hav time to play around with caps. ;)

san diego sun can be harsh but, the dealer can be worse and i'm not talking about price gouging. i had to have the keyed lugnuts removed and the guy took the center cap off with a screw driver!
nice big scratch down the side. i stood there and watched him do it. when he didn't even acknowledge it, i was so stunned i didn't say anything. they were doing it for free so i didn't bitch but...DAG!
i quickly got the lever from the tool bag and removed the rest before he could get to them. i made it obvious to him, but he didn't care at all. DAG!

Miked. Thoses SD people are all just to cash flushed now to give a s***. Come join me and well take our Cruisers down Baja. That's my plan - Baja and a Cruiser - what could be better? I'm going to spray my caps today and if it looks bad my wife who is an artist will give then a custom job. Red and yellow flames for Baja maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom