NFS Chainsaw Class (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaleAle

MUD-aholic
SILVER Star
Threads
The NFS chainsaw certification class will be held on March 11, 2017 @ 8am in the Lee Ranger Office in
Edinburg, VA. The follow-up field session is scheduled for Sunday March 12, 2017, weather permitting. If you plan to attend, please send me a PM so I can give them a headcount.

I took the class last year. If you use a chainsaw, it's a worthwhile session on technique as well as safety.

They have loaner chaps and don't encourage you to buy your own until after you've had the course. You do need the leather boots at least 6" tall floor to top of cuff and a vibram type hard sole.

we do this to help maintain fire trails, correct? Is the class still going to happen? I will have to borrow some chaps.

The Club has adopted Petermill OHV trail to help the forest service maintain it. At the beginning of the season there may be trees across the trails. But we can be called upon to help carry tools and supplies for other project in the GW&J. They usually use horses and Pack mules in the remote sights.

Last edited:
Yes, reach out to Stephanie Chapman (slchapman@fs.fed.us) on Monday. Day 1 is classroom, bring your lunch. 2nd day is in the field for the skills test so you have to have the leather boots with Vibram-style sole (minimum 6" floor to top of collar), heavy work or chainsaw gloves plus eye and hearing protection and a hardhat. They will tell you not to buy chaps until they give you the specs. The chaps required by NFS are $200+ chaps, not your average Husqavarna or Stihl chaps. They will also loan you a pair of chaps for the skills test. Don't forget your chainsaw, gas, oil (both fuel mix and chain oil) bar tightening tool, wedges, sharpening files and a very, very sharp chain. A sharp chain makes the skills test much easier. You will have to demonstrate you have mastered safe bucking and clearing technique. They will not let you fell a tree, but they will show you how and teach you how to do plunge cuts by practicing on a stump.

@StaleAle

I have only owned a chainsaw for a few months and am very green.
Is this class acceptable for a beginner? Or is it more for people who are already experienced to come out for a refresher and get certified?

@StaleAle

I have only owned a chainsaw for a few months and am very green.
Is this class acceptable for a beginner? Or is it more for people who are already experienced to come out for a refresher and get certified?

It is a perfect class for a newbe.

<<BREAK>>

Looks like the other requirement can be done on-line for $25.

Adult First Aid/CPR/AED Online
Course Detail

Cool! I emailed Stephanie Chapman and let her know I would be attending.

At this point I have the following equipment.

Chainsaw
Bar Lube
2 cycle fuel

Chaps (not FS certified)
Boots
eye protection
ear protection
Mechanix gloves

I don't have the following, do I need to go out and buy these?
Chainsaw gloves
hard hat
wedges
chain file

Thanks for the input.

A hardhat is required. Mechanix gloves are probably okay. The others are recommended equipment.

They will show you how to use wedges and you will want to get the correct files for your saw chain so that you can keep it sharp.

Yes, the forestry helmet isn't that much more expensive and it is more comfortable and convenient.

That looks like the right place. My GPS took me to a different location last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom