NFS Chainsaw Class - Volunter Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaleAle

MUD-aholic
SILVER Star
Threads
Guys,

The Lee District Office of the Nat'l Forest Service has asked CLCC to formally adopt the Peter's Mill and Tasker's Gap 4x4 trails. I've got that paperwork process going, and we already have one of two required annual workdays under our belts thanks to Stump, Patrick, Chris and Steve helping out last Saturday.

One of the things we will want to do is get a couple of guys certified to use chainsaws in the National Forest. The certification involves a day of classroom instruction and a day of field instruction. The next classroom session is scheduled for Saturday Feb. 28 at the Lee District office in Edinburg, VA. The follow-on field session is offered Sunday march 1st, but the instructor tells me he can meet us another time to do the final checkout if we can't do both Saturday and Sunday on the same weekend. Let me know if anyone is interested. I'd go if I wasn't already committed elsewhere.

The instructor encourages us to bring our own equipment, so we can learn with the saw we plan to use. However, the only real equipment requirement to attend the class is a pair of 8" leather boots with Vibram soles. The NFS can provide the rest (saws, safety glasses, headgear, chaps, gloves, etc.), and no you don't get to keep the loaner saw.

Anyone interested?

Let me know.

Last edited:
I was in untill you said I can't keep the saw!?!?

I would go but I do not have the correct equipment (boots) anymore. I do not need 8" high boots for work any more.

I will look around and see if I can pick a pair up with a reasonable price tag.

That weekend won't work for me unfortunately. It's my cake day on the first.

The Sunday session can be postponed and rescheduled with Wade (the instructor) at a mutually convenient time.

Shared party with my 6 year nephew on Saturday so I'm a no go unfortunately. Are there any other dates for that class?

There is. It is 12 March in Edinburg, VA (just South of Winchester) for the classroom session then 13 March for the practical outdoor session. Though, the critical piece is the classroom session; you can do the outdoor session anytime after that, like if we have a scheduled trail day in April, the ranger can meet us out there and do the outdoor session.

There is. It is 12 March in Edinburg, VA (just South of Winchester) for the classroom session then 13 March for the practical outdoor session. Though, the critical piece is the classroom session; you can do the outdoor session anytime after that, like if we have a scheduled trail day in April, the ranger can meet us out there and do the outdoor session.

i'll go. u deconflicted yet?

Was this the all day one? I believe someone said it will start at 9 a.m.? being able to do the practical another day is good.

I'm up for the classroom session on the 12th.

- Mark

I don't think the trail is open yet.

I received the following from my contact with the NFS. Please let me know if you are interested.

The Lee Ranger District will offer their annual Volunteer Chain Saw Training Course on March 12-13, 2016.

Who’s this class for?

Everyone is welcome! This course is for all volunteers interested in receiving their Forest Service chainsaw certification so you can buck/cut up trees as part of your volunteer trail maintenance activities.

When and where is it?

This class will begin on Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 0800 at the Lee Ranger District Office, Edinburg, Va. This is an 8 hr classroom session. Bring a pack lunch or plan to plan to dash out during your ~30 min. lunch break.

The class on Sunday, March 13, 2016 will be in the field and will begin a 0800. Plan to be outside most of the day! More information for this day will be provided at the Saturday class.

Great! I plan to be there…

Please RSVP to the Lee Ranger District office with your intent to attend this course by March 7, 2016. (540) 984-4101 or email me at slchapman@fs.fed.us

Hey I just need to be recertifiedor I have questions about the class

Contact Wade Bushong at 540-984-4101; wbushong@fs.fed.us to schedule another day or to get more information.

Wait! You’ll need Personal Protective Equipment! (Some of this you can borrow for your field day)

Boots (must be: Heavy-duty, cut-resistant or leather, waterproof or water repellent, leather, 8-inch-high, laced, with nonskid soles and adequate ankle support. Hard toes are optional (Health and Safety Code Handbook). )

Forest Service approved Hard Hat

Chainsaw Chaps – talk to Wade Bushong or Jay Collett before you buy them!

Long Sleeves

Wrap-around Eye Protection

Leather Gloves

Long Pants

Hearing protection

Also, to become certified you’ll need a current First Aid and CPR certification.

The First Aid/CPR certification is not required to attend the class, but you must have it before the NFS will issue your certification to use a chainsaw on NFS property.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom