Next Sat Jemez Ride, 6/22/19 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any interest in a Jemez ride next Sat, 6/22????
I can lead a day ride, but if anybody wants to make it an overnighter, I am sure we will pass several good , out of the way campsites, during the day.
My plans would be to meet at Walatowa gas/vistors center around 9:00 am, Sat . and leave about 9:30. Would be returning back to Walatowa around 5-6 pm. Over night campers could pick a good camp spot when they are ready to stop.
Our group had a very good time last weekend, so let's do it again.
Note: last sat, Walatowa Gas Station could NOT pump gas as their computer system was down, so I recommend topping off your tank at San Ysidro, NM.:steer:

Love too but we are going to be at San Antonio in the 5er. We are planning a trip down 607 and camping 4th of July weeked. Normally nobody there and there are a few roads that will challenge many of us.

Hmmm maybe, cannot do overnight. What area? I may be coming from north

If you are coming down south on Hwy 550, I could lead a route on Forest Roads between Cuba and Fenton Lake. Might could meet you somewhere on 126. 126 is paved from Cuba to FR 20. A good meet up point . From FR 20, going south to FR 539, FR539B, up Smokey Bear Hill on FR 535. After that , we could go up San Miguel Mt, on FR 534, FR 534F and down the other side ( FR 534O). Depending on time we would start heading back to town several different ways, or add Church Canyon ( FR 535A). Lots of up and down , narrow and rugged FR's.
Places to camp , if others wanted to. I am not planning on camping either.

I am flexible , so let's see if anyone else wants to explore, and we can make plans that work for us all. Does that work for you?

Last edited:
I’m in if you’re not going to get more technical than my van can handle. Also, I’m getting a handheld ham radio on Wednesday, anyone willing to walk me through programming it before ride on Saturday?

I’m in if you’re not going to get more technical than my van can handle. Also, I’m getting a handheld ham radio on Wednesday, anyone willing to walk me through programming it before ride on Saturday?

Stephen - if you get a Baofeng, then I can do it for you using a laptop. However, you can simply type in 146.40 in both Channel A & B then lock the keyboard and DONE!

Also, look up on taking the license exam that happens monthly, I think.

Love too but we are going to be at San Antonio in the 5er. We are planning a trip down 607 and camping 4th of July weeked. Normally nobody there and there are a few roads that will challenge many of us.

Why don't you start a new thread on the 4th of July camp out and I bet few of us will want to join you, assuming you want company!

Stephen - if you get a Baofeng, then I can do it for you using a laptop. However, you can simply type in 146.40 in both Channel A & B then lock the keyboard and DONE!

Also, look up on taking the license exam that happens monthly, I think.
I am getting a Baofeng as a matter of fact, it should be here Wednesday. I’m getting the cable as well so there’s a chance I can do it on my own. Will definitely see what it takes to get the license. Thanks
089B31E5-7048-4F15-B638-E29A765A14A3.jpeg

I am getting a Baofeng as a matter of fact, it should be here Wednesday. I’m getting the cable as well so there’s a chance I can do it on my own. Will definitely see what it takes to get the license. Thanks View attachment 2006526

If you get a mag mount antenna base + a regular length antenna, you'll be able to reach out farther vs the tiny antenna that's on the unit. Steve does that and he can throw quite far.

If you get a mag mount antenna base + a regular length antenna, you'll be able to reach out farther vs the tiny antenna that's on the unit. Steve does that and he can throw quite far.
I am getting a 15.6” whip antenna but was under the impression that it screwed directly on to the handheld.

I am getting a 15.6” whip antenna but was under the impression that it screwed directly on to the handheld.

You're correct but your signal transmission will still suck due to the location of the radio. If you can talk with the radio out of your window while the antenna is vertical and above the roof line, then you'll have good transmission. 🤣

St. Stephen69s. the hand held will work well in a tight group. Dialing in the club frequency will keep you in communication with everyone.
As far as this ride for your van. It will be more technical, but with some spotting, you should do well. There is a few more rocky sections, and washed out areas that you could get through. There is areas where branches will rub the sides of our 4x4's, so scratches can happen.
If you are up for that, then please join me. Right , now, no one else has joined up for this ride. We will have to see who might join us .

St. Stephen69s. the hand held will work well in a tight group. Dialing in the club frequency will keep you in communication with everyone.
As far as this ride for your van. It will be more technical, but with some spotting, you should do well. There is a few more rocky sections, and washed out areas that you could get through. There is areas where branches will rub the sides of our 4x4's, so scratches can happen.
If you are up for that, then please join me. Right , now, no one else has joined up for this ride. We will have to see who might join us .
I’m up for it!

You're correct but your signal transmission will still suck due to the location of the radio. If you can talk with the radio out of your window while the antenna is vertical and above the roof line, then you'll have good transmission. 🤣
Okay, I’m ordering a mag mount. It might be here before Saturday.

Maybe...would be bringing the little one if it works out

Okay, I’m ordering a mag mount. It might be here before Saturday.

So, when you ordered a mag mount, make sure the cable end of that setup will screw into your radio antenna port. Sometimes you need an adapter to go between the two. Just a FYI.

I don't want to derail this thread any more but go here to gain more insight into HAM.

Last edited:
this weekend Jun 22nd -23rd... I'm going to be camping here;
Looks like you are camping north of the Valle Grande. You are welcome to meet up with us. We will be coming from Walatowa, thru Jemez Springs to La Cueva, then to Fenton Lake on 126. We will go up 126 to the junction with FR 20. This is were 126 goes from dirt to pavement. Hope this can work for you.

Maybe...would be bringing the little one if it works out
You are more than welcome to join up with us. Let me know if you have any questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom