1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Decision

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Romer, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

My carb is running OK, but I know (don't we all) it could be running better. Plus sounds like some one else cured their similar exahuast smell problem by rebuilding the carb.

20 years ago I rebuilt a carb on an old ford. My aging memory says it wasn't a big deal. How many of you have rebuilt your yourself, and which kit would you recommend.

I read other posts that said a Weber carb would really help performance. How hard are these to install (Same hookup or custom) and how much did you pay?

Another group of individuals said, no the Holly is the better approach. Again, how hard are these to install (Same hookup or custom) and how much did you pay?

And there is always sending it to Jim C. How long does that take? Is it $250 bucks?

Lots of questions and I know some of the info is in other posts, but I am trying to compare the options and couldn't find anything on that.

I am leaning towards rebuilding myself, just want to make sure I evaluate all the data before I remove it.

Thanks,

Ken

2. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I used the kit from SOR. Worked just fine.

3. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Romer, I'd go for it and rebuild it. I'm a moroon and I've done four with success. The ones I've done are all older and didn't have all the smog stuff( 72,72,74). The carb dip with basket $18, the kit $15-22, all the same in my opinion. Jim C also has a kit he sells which is more complete, I think it is about $45, but don't quote me. His has a new float and some more goodies, but no instructions. Instructions came with all the kits I've ordered from O'Reilly, CarQuest and CCOT. You do need a source of compressed air. PinHead's encouragement got me going.
    A lot of people have gone full circle and come back to the Asin.
    Poser is the only one I know of who has fully functional Webers, running smoothly. Get his input before buying ANY weber, he seems to have it fig'gerd out.
    GL
    ED

4. Romer

So did you guys do anything special when you took it apart to make it easier to put it back, or is simple enough you don't need to?

Thanks,

Ken

5. Romer

6. 78crzr

78crzr

Sent mine off to Jim C. and had him rebuild it. It's not cheap by any means ($295.00) but I'm glad I did as the PO was evidently someone that thought they new about carbs but had absolutely no idea and it was completely screwed up. Had I just gotten the rebuild kit I would have been SOL as it was too jacked up for me to bring back to life, having no experience with carbs at all. It runs 100 times better and was money well spent IMHO.

7. Romer

How long dose Jim take?

8. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    You can do a rebuild with the factory service manual. You do have that, don't you?

9. Romer

I do, I Do!!!

I will probably do the rebuild myself. Now I am pretty much down to CCOT or SOR or Other kit? Looking for recommendation.

Jim C has a great reputation, was just curious what the turnaround time was.

10. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

Jim C. told me current turn around time was like two weeks.

11. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    CruisinGA Bailey said that when he did it, he arranged with Jim C. so that he had his carb overnighted to Jim, and Jim had a rebuild ready to go. Jim sent Bailey the rebuild as soon as he received Bailey's carb.

12. Romer

well, Bailey knows how to do that because he is a secretary.

13. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

I didn't put a rush on mine because I walk to school and don't need to drive it anytime soon.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">