Next big expedition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Regarding cooking/meals.

I do like the group meals, as it is much more social...just keep in mind, if you screw up, you give the entire group food poisoning!!! If anyone is using a cooler rather than a good fridge for this trip, It might be a good idea to keep the communal food in someones rig that does have a fridge.

I will be bringing a set of Firestiks and pots/pans that are great for cooking over an open flame along with a 2 burner partner grill stove.

Regarding cooking/meals.

I do like the group meals, as it is much more social...just keep in mind, if you screw up, you give the entire group food poisoning!!! If anyone is using a cooler rather than a good fridge for this trip, It might be a good idea to keep the communal food in someones rig that does have a fridge.

I will be bringing a set of Firestiks and pots/pans that are great for cooking over an open flame along with a 2 burner partner grill stove.
Just got a fridge/freezer combo unit. We can work out the logistics when we stop to buy food.

I have been routing out a few tracks that will take us along the scenic route from Moab to HITR. We all meet in Moab on Thursday afternoon and hit the trail...we don't need to go far down Kane Creek Canyon to find a good campsite.

Highlights:
  • Kane Creek Canyon (Camp Thursday 11/1)
  • Hamburger Hill
  • Lockhart Basin
  • Canyonlands
  • Super Secret BLM Campsite (Friday 11/2)
  • Butler Wash
  • Up over Bears Ears
  • Camp at Halls Crossing Saturday 11/3
  • Down HITR Sunday 11/4
  • Up HITR Monday 11/5 and back to Moab via blacktop.
I have routed out re-fueling options along the way in Monticello, Blanding and Halls Crossing.

View attachment 1805583
The only issue I see as a possibility is Kane Creek canyon. I lead it in May with Cruise Moab. The route is getting rougher and rougher, especially at hamburger hill. I can only imagine what the difficulty will be if it snows. Let alone all of the water crossings. I'm not saying that we should avoid it, I'm just saying that it can't be taken lightly.

The only issue I see as a possibility is Kane Creek canyon. I lead it in May with Cruise Moab. The route is getting rougher and rougher, especially at hamburger hill. I can only imagine what the difficulty will be if it snows. Let alone all of the water crossings. I'm not saying that we should avoid it, I'm just saying that it can't be taken lightly.

Yes I agree. I am working on a few alternative routes. A few goals for this trip will be to not over extend seat time each day...Having plenty of time in camp to chill, cook, inebriate etc is half the fun. I also want to make sure we don't jump straight into very technical terrain.

Can we get an updated listing of who is coming, and which rigs are coming.

Current Roster: (7 rigs, 10 guys)

Last edited:
I've got a first gen Tac
Can we get an updated listing of who is coming, and which rigs are coming. I believe we have 5 rigs and 8 guys.

These are the 3 folks I know well and know the rigs.
  • @mryanangel (Morgan) - 80 series, 37's, locked.
  • @Crusha (Greg) - 80 series, 35's locked.
  • @fireball (Ben) - Hundy most likely, 33's? locked.

I've got a first gen Tacoma on 33's, rear locked.

Running back through the thread I see 5 more folks that are coming, I was only able to determine the @TRFCSUX is driving and Bob @76FJ40 is riding. Knowing how many and of what type trucks are coming will have an effect on travel speed and therefore route planning.

@Von Hayek - Riding
@TRFCSUX - Driving
@Tikicruiser - Riding
@76FJ40 (Bob) - Riding
@SAS

Last edited:
Apinti is also driving. Van Hayek and Tikicruiser are passengers.

If you guys want to do group meals (can be fun), I would recommend we pair off in advance, and everyone plans out a meal to prepare for the group. I wouldn't just wing it when at the grocery store since you will be more preoccupied with getting on the road than planning out a scrumptious feast.

Before we go down the group meal path, are there any allergies or preferences that folks would rather not be included in the group meal process?

Hey, I was thinking, what is the preferred method of inter-vehicle communication? CB? Ham? Paper airplanes?
2M ham works the best. On the high speed sections when traveling in a group a good dust cloud gets kicked up. We will likely stretch out so that the guys in the middle and back aren't eating dirt all day. Folks that have mobile 2m hams will be best to have in the lead, tailgunner and the middle if needed to relay messages up and down the chain. When we stretch out folks that have handhelds won't always be able to communitcate with the whole convoy without a relay.

Who has a mobile 2M installed?
Who has a handheld 2M?
Who doesnt have 2M?

I Have both mobile and handheld.

2M ham works the best. On the high speed sections when traveling in a group a good dust cloud gets kicked up. We will likely stretch out so that the guys in the middle and back aren't eating dirt all day. Folks that have mobile 2m hams will be best to have in the lead, tailgunner and the middle if needed to relay messages up and down the chain. When we stretch out folks that have handhelds won't always be able to communitcate with the whole convoy without a relay.

Who has a mobile 2M installed?
Who has a handheld 2M?
Who doesnt have 2M?

I Have both mobile and handheld.
I've goth both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom