Newly purchased pre-1970 brake cylinder (threaded banjo threads) not same as EOM. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on replacing an EOM leaking wheel cylinder on pre-1970 FJ40. I found one for fair price at PartsGeek (made by Beck Arnley.) Problem is the banjo bolt will not go all the way in (the new aftermarket cylinder is not tapped with enough threads like the original.) How do I know for sure if a seller has the right wheel cylinder that will accept (or thread in all the way) my EOM banjo bolt? Apparently some new aftermarket cylinders (that are pre-1970) are not made the same as the original EOM pre-1970 cylinders. A picture is worth a thousand words...top pic is original proper fit and lower pic is new aftermarket cylinder that is not tapped in far enough to fit banjo bolt all the way in. Banjo is bottomed out in lower pic with threads left. How will I know if Cool Cruisers of SOR will have cylinders that will fit the banjo bolt properly (fit correctly like the OEM cylinder?)
Original.jpg
New aftermarket cylinder not allowing banjo bolt to go in enough.jpg

Hey man! Did you get this figured out? I am actually in search of a banjo bolt that fits in my rear cylinder. If you aren’t using yours any more, any chance I could talk you into selling me your old ones? And, I even know where to get shorter ones that are the same size otherwise if you need that information still.

So long story short I used a wheel cylinder from the previous owner on my 1969 and found out later it wasn’t in such good shape, so ordered a new one (should have known better). I ordered from Fjparts and it’s a nice one, made in Japan.

It definitely looks like the top photo of your old cylinder is for a front axle, the bottom picture of the new one is for a rear axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom